• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Are DVDs History? Broadband Sample Libraries in our future?

Share/Bookmark

Are DVDs History? Broadband Sample Libraries in our future?

Just when you thought DVDs may be firmly rooted in the digital envrironment, Serge Tchuruk, chief executive of Alcatel, proclaims the DVD format will be history and that cheap and widely available broadband services will sound the death knell for the popular storage medium.

"The DVD will be short lived," said Tchuruk. "This kind of video was a passive exercise. Today things need to be much more interactive."
    Recent network price drops, availability and increased broadband speed and capacity are just the start of a longer term trend that would see broadband kill off the DVD. With a more efficient delivery system there will be less of a need for DVDs and other physical media in the future.

Perhaps this is how all sample libraries will be distributed in the not-too-distant future. Do you think the time has come? If we were to offer our libraries as a download (2+ gigabyte), could your connection handle that?

Gary Garritan

Re: Are DVDs History? Broadband Sample Libraries in our future?

I believe many people, myself included, still like to have something tangible. Especially since something could happen to my computer at any time, and I'm too lazy to make back-up copies myself. I also like a tangible manual, I certainly don't enjoy reading manuals off the computer and I don't want to use my own paper and ink to print the stuff. However, I know they already offer computer games (usually the cheaper ones) as downloads in many places, as well as thousands of those good old shareware programs, so downloadable libraries may not be farfetched.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I'm with Sean on this one. I know that there are probably a lot of people who are looking forward to the new technology though. Downloadable libraries might not be that bad...instant gratification!

My connection could deal with the massive downloads fairly well, but I agree that it is important to have a hard copy on hand. Computers are not the most stable things in the world, they frequently have problems.

Having been involved with computers for a year or two (my first piece of equipment was a 30 baud teletype for accessing a time-sharing system) I perhaps am too much aware of what could go wrong with such a setup. That said, I have serious security, privacy, and reliability concerns regarding on-line delivery of anything.

I don't have any links handy but if you search for keyboard monitoring programs or spyware you should find some sobering information regarding one of many concerns I have regarding this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I believe many people, myself included, still like to have something tangible. Especially since something could happen to my computer at any time, and I'm too lazy to make back-up copies myself. I also like a tangible manual, I certainly don't enjoy reading manuals off the computer and I don't want to use my own paper and ink to print the stuff. However, I know they already offer computer games (usually the cheaper ones) as downloads in many places, as well as thousands of those good old shareware programs, so downloadable libraries may not be farfetched.
    Well as far as DVD's go I'm a collector and I like having the physical media. That said, streaming could easily replace rentals and regular TV (imagine watching any show at any time, not just when a broadcast channel decides to schedule it!!)

As for libs, I've bought a couple online (Rain Piano, for instance), downloaded them and burned them to DVD-R and it works great. No need for any fancy packaging.

SO, bottom line, I could DL a couple gigs easy and it beats waiting on the mail. But GOS wouldn't be nearly as cool without its wonderful binder and documentation.

Downloading single instruments would be nice but multi-gigabyte libraries would a bit much for my current connection.

I gotta agree that DVD is an old (in technology terms) format.

But - as has been said above, there is something to be said for having a tangible "in your hand" type of media. I am all for the newest online delivery stuff - as long as there is sufficient and convincing security. But I like having a hard copy of anything I value. Even with high speed, downloading 4.6 gigs of stuff (let alone 9) takes a decent chunk of time. Having a hard copy of something means you don't have to wait again to download something you already had.

We still write letters and correspondence through the mail, and people were saying this same thing when the telephone came into popular and common use over 80 years ago.
    There will always be a niche for something that is tried and true.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    GOS wouldn't be nearly as cool without its wonderful binder and documentation.
    boy you got that right!

I am in agreement with Sean also!

Having the option to download something as big as GOS would be wonderful, however, I strongly agree with Fred and Sean on this one.

dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Perhaps this is how all sample libraries will be distributed in the not-too-distant future. Do you think the time has come? If we were to offer our libraries as a download (2+ gigabyte), could your connection handle that?

Gary Garritan
    For me, it is important to have the disk, DVD,CD, or whatever. If your computer suffers a disastrous problem, you will always then have at least the software to load on to the new computer or hard drive. And, as other have stated, I want the manual in my hand. I do not like to read manuals on the screen. I can scan a book much faster than I can scan a screen document, and I can read a book much faster than I can read on screen. And I can't take the computer into the living room and sink into the couch and read it.

Broadband connection may be good in some areas, but 2 gigabyte down loads would require probably days on my connection. I think the best I can do is about 25 Mb per hour. Too far from the telephone exchange, remote area, low priority for phone line maintenance. I can't even manage streaming audio, so I have yet to hear my own music on Chris Duncan's show, even though I was a featured performer, and provided the theme music!

It might be a good solution for movies, as one use is probably all that most DVD's get. But can you stop it to fetch a cup of coffee, let the dog in, go to the bathroom? Can you rewind to hear the part that was drowned out by a stupid driver with thundering motor and no exhaust and no consideration?

But for music, when I get a recording I like, it will be played many times. I don't want to go online every time I want music, and I don't want to have my computer trying to play streaming audio while I am doing other things with it.

As for reliability, the net is similar to the problems in the early days of sattelite communication, when I had to deal with non-synchronous sattelites, which was like trying to adjust the parameters of a communications circuit, but the end stations won't stay in the same place. In certain areas, a tropical rain could kill the system, just like rainy weather does to my internet connection.

And, I suppose, some day, the equiment will outstrip my technology skills, and there will then be the matter of maintenance, which, if good operation is demanded, will be worthy of consideration. Because of my technical background, I handle most problems myself,but there are already large numbers of people who can not or will not deal with this amount of techology change. And I sometimes weary of acquiring new equipment and skills.

In summary, I find the idea abhorrent.

Richard

Go Back to forum