• Register
  • Help

Topic: CC#1 vs CC#7

Share/Bookmark

Question CC#1 vs CC#7

Greetings, GPOers.

I know that GPO users have been taught and encouraged to use the Mod Wheel controller (CC#1) for volume and expression (in those instruments that respond to this controller, like strings, woodwinds and brass)...

But I was wondering, I find myself still having to use the traditional CC#7 volume controller, to get sufficient punch out of these instruments.

What do you do, as far setting CC#7 levels? Do you place a controller message (max, min or half-way) at the beginning of the track, and forget it (because you plan to use Mod Wheel) ?

Just curious what other folk's relationship is with these two controllers. I'm finding hard to find a good balance.

Cheers 'n' Beers
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Re: CC#1 vs CC#7

Well, the volume is meant to be 'set and forget' since the mod wheel actually controls the timbre of the instruments and controls the volume and frequency filters in the Kontakt Player. The volume controls only that, the volume. However, whatever works and gets you the sound you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Well, the volume is meant to be 'set and forget' <snip>
    Right. At what level (between 0 and 127) per track do you find setting CC#7 works?
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Smile Re: CC#1 vs CC#7

[QUOTE=BermudaFlyer]Greetings, GPOers.

I know that GPO users have been taught and encouraged to use the Mod Wheel controller (CC#1) for volume and expression (in those instruments that respond to this controller, like strings, woodwinds and brass)...

But I was wondering, I find myself still having to use the traditional CC#7 volume controller, to get sufficient punch out of these instruments.

What do you do, as far setting CC#7 levels? Do you place a controller message (max, min or half-way) at the beginning of the track, and forget it (because you plan to use Mod Wheel) ?

Just curious what other folk's relationship is with these two controllers. I'm finding hard to find a good balance.

Hi BermudaFlyer,
    what I do with GPO is to control the single volume of each instrument with CC#7 and the Kontakt player where I load the a section of the orchestra with the CC#1 (modwheel).
    What I get is quite balanced. Just listen my first GPO demo at http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31814
    maybe it is better than my words.
    Best,
    Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaFlyer
    Right. At what level (between 0 and 127) per track do you find setting CC#7 works?
    That's a loaded question.

I find that when I'm doing highlighted solos I usually end up bumping the volumes up to 0+ decibles. When doing full orchestrations, I leave them alone unless I plan on doing heaving mixing/mastering. Chamber music I leave alone and use the track levels in my sequencer to make adjustments. Its all about workflow and what sound you are after.

You must be a little careful about pushing the volume in the Kontakt player. I was getting little clicks in an oboe part, and tried for literally hours to find out what was causing it.

In desperation, I thought "maybe if I reload the oboe.?" At that point I was so angry with myself for I had forgotten that earlier that week I had jacked up the volume and of course, as soon as it was lowered, the clicks went away.

Karl

Ok, thank you all for your advice. I'll do some more experimenting and see what blows up.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

CC7 set at 80 equals approximately 0 db. If you are just doing a few instruments this is fine. I've found that with a full orchestration that it's usually not a good idea to play around with the volume levels too much as it's very easy to surpass 0 db. The average instrument setting is pretty close to CC7 = 60. Some instruments such as the woodwinds are much louder than the strings and are set somewhere around CC7 = 50.

Just remember that as you add more instruments, that the output is additive and will get louder.

That makes sense. Thanks, Haydn.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Go Back to forum