• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is there a such thing as..........

Share/Bookmark

Is there a such thing as..........

........a person who takes sequencer files and turns them into scores, readable by a symphony for recording? I'm ofcourse hoping to need this someday when I land a bigger gig than the little commercials I am doing now. I can read sheet music just enough to get by ( Every Good Boy Does Fine and Face ), but there is no way I would want to take on this chore myself. If so, How much does it cost ( a range is fine ) by the hour or by the music minute? I definitely plan on needing this some day and I would really like to know. Thanks in advance. By the way, I use Cubase SX with a couple different libs. I didnt know if it mattered what format the files were, sequencer specific or standard midi.

Re: Is there a such thing as..........

Hm, yes...it's called a copyist (which sometime is also handled by the orchestrator). They (unlike us) have a union, and generally have a specific rate calculated on a per page basis. I believe that AFM is the union and contacting them would probably give you all of the rates that you need....however I might be mistaken about the union so if someone has more reliable information please share.

You generally might want to hire an orchestrator anyway since sequencing something with samples and scoring for a real orchestra has definite differences. Some copyists might "fix" your sequences to reflect what real players need to see....but it's really an orchestrator's job.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Smile Re: Is there a such thing as..........

Thanks Mid-phase. Which should be contacted first, the copyist or the orchestrator? Is there a big waiting period to get work done with them? How long does it take them to turn around a project? I know these answers could vary alot depending or various parameters. I'm just typing as these questions come to mind. Thanks again.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    Thanks Mid-phase. Which should be contacted first, the copyist or the orchestrator? Is there a big waiting period to get work done with them? How long does it take them to turn around a project? I know these answers could vary alot depending or various parameters. I'm just typing as these questions come to mind. Thanks again.

Eric
    Kays is right that these guys are through the AFM (American Federation of Musicians). From what you've said, it sounds like you may need an orchestrator rather than a copyist. But I could be wrong.

I would call your AFM local (doesn't matter whether you're a member) and get some phone numbers of orchestrators. That person will give you a better idea of what you'll actually need and some cost estimates.

You don't have to stay local, by the way. Most of these people take MIDI files and mp3s, which you can e-mail. So if for some strange reason, there are no orchestrators in Illinois, you could call the LA union local. There are about a million of 'em here!

- Mike Greene

Yeah, start with the orchestrator first. Generally the orchestrator will either take on the copyist duties as well or already have a network on people that can handle the job. The turn around varies from person to person, but some of the best guys can be remarkably quick.

If you ever need some names in the LA area I can forward you a couple of contacts that I would recommend.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Thanks so much guys. I will keep that in mind Kays. I looked up the AFM website and there is quite a bit of interesting info there as far as musician's rates and recordist's rates. Now I have something to show producers that want something for nothing. Lol Thanks again.

Eric

Go Back to forum