• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is there a digital in/out for notebooks?

Share/Bookmark

Is there a digital in/out for notebooks?

Does anyone know if there is a digi in/out option for notebooks. Ofcourse I mean one that is compatible with GS. How are the experiences using GS on a notebook?

Re: Is there a digital in/out for notebooks?

I\'m running GS LE on a Toshiba 320 CDT with 96 MB ram and a normal p233. I do have an external SCSI on a fast PCMCIA SCSI Card from ADAPTEC (1480?) and I use an external Motu PCMidi interface. I can play the light Gigapiano without much hanging, the full gigapiano works too, but tends to hang when using a lot of pedal or when win 98 starts chaching to disc. The problem with digital sound in/out is not yet solved. I\'ve tried the opcode USB Sonicport and it does\'nt run at all. There are PCMCIA Cards from digigram (www.digigram.com) and EMU - the first is very expensive and doesn\'t seem to support directx and the EMU doesn\'t seem to be professional. This sucks. But time will tell... One day there will be...
    By the way - my setup is just for testing and having fun. I don\'t recommend it for serious work, unless you record one instrument at a time direct to disc, copy it to another computer via network and use it there in a multitrack program as a wav file...
    A faster notebook with a digital in/out would be something worth living for.

[This message has been edited by PeterE (edited 07-20-1999).]

I would like it just for composing etc. Great to do stuff outdoors. A digital interface would be great to still use samples etc. if I\'m taking it to another studio.

Hello Peter

So are you just using the inbuilt soundcard on the laptop to listen back to the Gigasampler? I\'m trying to make use of a pretty powerful new laptop I got for work butsoundcard situation for laptops and Gioga is a joke...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterE:
    I\'m running GS LE on a Toshiba 320 CDT with 96 MB ram and a normal p233. I do have an external SCSI on a fast PCMCIA SCSI Card from ADAPTEC (1480?) and I use an external Motu PCMidi interface. I can play the light Gigapiano without much hanging, the full gigapiano works too, but tends to hang when using a lot of pedal or when win 98 starts chaching to disc. The problem with digital sound in/out is not yet solved. I\'ve tried the opcode USB Sonicport and it does\'nt run at all. There are PCMCIA Cards from digigram (www.digigram.com) and EMU - the first is very expensive and doesn\'t seem to support directx and the EMU doesn\'t seem to be professional. This sucks. But time will tell... One day there will be...
    By the way - my setup is just for testing and having fun. I don\'t recommend it for serious work, unless you record one instrument at a time direct to disc, copy it to another computer via network and use it there in a multitrack program as a wav file...
    A faster notebook with a digital in/out would be something worth living for.

[This message has been edited by PeterE (edited 07-20-1999).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out:
    http://www.egosys.net/

They have two options for GigaStudio with notebooks: one USB and one PCMCIA.

Best regards, Nanok Bie - Sweden

I have used a Wami Box (from Ego-Sys) for the last 6 months.
    It\'s a cool little box, does not need any power supply (powered by PCMCIA) and it\'s been working great with CakeWalk.
    It has 2 ins and 4 outs.

When I\'m back home I transfer the files back to my desktop. Works great for me!

I am not aware the wamibox gsif drivers are available yet! Are they?

I haven\'t tried GS on Wami Box. Sorry I didn\'t make that clear. I use it mostly to do on-site recordings into CakeWalk/SoundForge.

If I get around to load GS on my laptop I will report the results, but I don\'t expect the CPU & disk to be up to the task...

Go Back to forum