• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: ???Two more questions about GS3???

Share/Bookmark

Question ???Two more questions about GS3???

Ok, I have two, that's 2 more questions about GS3.
    Bear with me here, I did this to Gary Garritan before purchasing GPO, and I'm going to do this untill I decide to purchase GS3 or not.

Isn't that right, Gary?

So anyways.........
    1.) How does GS3 intigrate with my sequencer? I'm using Cakewalk Music Creator 2002, which is basiclly a VSTless Sonar. I'm hearing all this about rewire, but I'm not exactly getting how that works. Does it make GS3 line up with all my hardware sound modules? Is it a plugin like VSTi or DXi?

2.) Please clarify the purpose of GigaPulse. Exactly what does it do? I understand it adds soundboard/body resonances to instruments, but wouldn't those resonances be recorded in the natural sample anyway? And it adds different reverbs too, right? What's the difference between GigaPulse reverb and my favorite reverb plugin?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Chris

Re: ???Two more questions about GS3???

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Ok, I have two, that's 2 more questions about GS3.
    Bear with me here, I did this to Gary Garritan before purchasing GPO, and I'm going to do this untill I decide to purchase GS3 or not.

Isn't that right, Gary?

So anyways.........
    1.) How does GS3 intigrate with my sequencer? I'm using Cakewalk Music Creator 2002, which is basiclly a VSTless Sonar. I'm hearing all this about rewire, but I'm not exactly getting how that works. Does it make GS3 line up with all my hardware sound modules? Is it a plugin like VSTi or DXi?

2.) Please clarify the purpose of GigaPulse. Exactly what does it do? I understand it adds soundboard/body resonances to instruments, but wouldn't those resonances be recorded in the natural sample anyway? And it adds different reverbs too, right? What's the difference between GigaPulse reverb and my favorite reverb plugin?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Chris

1) For me it runs along side my sequencer on a separate PC. I sequence in both Windows and Linux. GSt is on a 3rd machine and accessible to both of my sequencing platforms.

2) Simplistically just think of it as a fancy reverb unit. The difference is in the way it does the math and how the math can be applied to the signals. Simplistically think of it as a fancy reverb unit.

- Mark

you can either run GS3 like a standard synth module (MIDI in, audio out), or it can be hosted within your sequencer (like a VSTi) using Rewire. I don't know if your version of Cake supports Rewire though. The bottom line is... it works.

Regarding GigaPulse, it's a convolution reverb, which means that it can emulate spaces, microphones, resonances, etc. All convolutions are CPU intensive. GigaPulse has some tricks to make it as efficient as possible. It runs in Kernel memory, and after the impulse has tailed off into the noise, it uses a simple reverb model, rather than the detailed, cpu intensive, impulse processing.

By modeling the resonance of an instrument, you don't need release samples, which can be a bit of a rough match, and eat polyphony. Picture that when a note ends, you don't want to just slam on the brakes. Release samples are one solution. Resonance models are the other.

For an orchestra the cool thing is being able to place the instruments within a space. Full impulse sets use 18 separate impulses, so you can really put your instruments anywhere.

A big part of the magic is the musicality of the impulses. I've used Sonic Foundry's Acoustic Mirror for years, but the impulses that they provide all sound kind of shallow or honky. Larry Seyer worked some real magic into the GigaPulse impulses. They are mind-numbingly musical. I'd love to get his Acoustic drums - not only for the kits, but for all of the extra impulse sets that ship with it. That's easily half the value of that library.

In fact, take a listen to Larry's drum demos some time. The clean room stuff is wicked cool. To push it to the limit check out the toms in the aircraft hangar. Those things are massive!

The main value for the orchestra though is that you can place your instruments where you want them. I generally use three impulse sets - close, mid and far, then drive each with a left, center and right mix. That gives me a 3x3 grid to place my instruments in. I can then fine tune things left right, fore and aft and adjust the width of the spread from narrow to wide. Everything blends nicely. And did I mention that it's musical?

If you're interested in doing dry sampling, then you need a great convolution engine with great impulses. Sure, you could spend additional money for Waves or something, but you'd then need a killer audio card to be able to do all of the required routing. With GS3 GigaPulse is right there in your sampler, so you can do all of the routing and seating positions that your CPU can handle.

Maybe Kontakt 2.0 will have a killer convolution engine with great impulses too, but who knows. Right now, GS3 is state of the art.

-JF

COOL STUFF!!!!

Say my sequencer isn't rewire compatible. Would I be able to use GS3 at all? I was thinking of buying Sonar anyway for the VSTness of it, but if I could stick to Cakewalk I'd be very happy!

Chris

The other thing that you can check is Giga VST adapter from www.fx-max.com

Daryl

Jon,
    I see that you too are a fan of Larry S's impulses....I have used them on various instruments even though they are included with his drums....I've only used the impulses that came with Giga3 as samples, but I am equally as impressed as you are ....They are very clean and very efficient impulses, not to mention how great his drums are !!... .....Jim

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    COOL STUFF!!!!

Say my sequencer isn't rewire compatible. Would I be able to use GS3 at all?

Chris
    Absolutely! I have Sonar, but never use Rewire. I guess I'm old school. I just point Sonar's tracks directly at Giga's MIDI ports, and then route Giga directly at the soundcard. It works great. And it's simple.

In fact I used Cakewalk Home 7 for years - with GS3 even. I upgraded to Sonar, after GS3 was installed and working fine with Cakewalk.

Keep in mind that GS3 can host 3rd party VST effects, so there's no real loss by not being able to point the audio back into the sequencer. The only advantage of Rewire is the ability to bounce lots of separate tracks to independent audio tracks easily. With all the power of Giga's DSP and mixing abilities, I don't find much need for lots of bounces. One final bounce usually does the trick.

And, yes, Larry's drums and impulses are great. Just to show that I'm not smitten, I'm not a big fan of the piano he sampled for GigaPiano II, though it has its uses. Oh well, you can't hit home runs with every swing of the bat.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Absolutely! I have Sonar, but never use Rewire. I guess I'm old school. I just point Sonar's tracks directly at Giga's MIDI ports, and then route Giga directly at the soundcard. It works great. And it's simple.
    So your saying that the MIDI ports show up right alongside my external sound modules? So my computer thinks it's an external sound module? Is it like GPO studio in terms of how my sequencer sees it?
    Then I just route GS3 to my soundcard? I guess that would be the 'audio output'?

Chris

You've got it!

-JF

Yes, I have cakewalk pro audio 9, When you select MIDI ports the GS3 Ports 1 thru 4 show up as a midi device. 5 thru 8 if you have the full boat version. And yes the GPO Studio ports 1 thru 8 are there too so you can run it all. Just make sure you get 3.04 update if you buy the box from your local dealer and allow a day or two to get regestered before you can download it.

Go Back to forum