• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Demo Player Beta...

Share/Bookmark

Demo Player Beta...

Well, here's what I've been doing in my cave for months...

High speed guys, feel free to try the streaming ability of the player.

Low speed guys, you may not be able to use this function. But you can still download the files by clicking on the download button.

Let me know how everything looks and functions. This isn't final since I want to make it skinnable (whew) and I want there to be library specific pages so GOS demo listeners don't have to wade through the GPO stuff. This will become increasingly necessary after the new libraries come out.

Also, don't be alarmed if all you get is a white screen, its loading. I'll put up a preloader as well before its all said and done.

Anyway, enough babbling, here it is...

http://www.gpo-uploads.com/DemoPlayer/DemoPlayer.html

Re: Demo Player Beta...

Wow, awesome! This is way better than the previous demo wheel thing (which was kind of annoying).

Good to know I didn't waste 4 months of my life.

Man, that is a really nice looking interface!! I like the conducter over to the side. Is GOS no longer part of it??

Holy xxxx, dude, that looks freakin' great! Very, very classy.

I've got a couple of minor observations that you probably already know about, but in the spirit of supporting your endeavors...

The volume on your player defaulted to 100% when I brought it up. Since my speakers were turned up as well, it was, er, quite exciting. If you have any control over it, a default of 50% might be something to consider.

When I click on the download button, it fires it up playing in Windows Media Player (doubltess my default player for that file type). Tried right clicking, but didn't get a save as option. I may be missing something obvious here but thought I'd mention it.

Mostly, though, I just want to say how extremely cool this looks. The conductor in the upper right is also a clever touch.

Serious style points, dude!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Yes, I haven't gotten that far yet.

Chris, I can't control really what happens when you click to download the file. Flash doesn't support right clicking. When I click in Mozilla I get a download or listen option. I don't know what to do. Your option is to save it from Windows Media Player I guess.

I can set the volume level. Does every one support this option? The only problem is if you adjust it from the default, when it moves to the next track, that track resets to 50% as well. Maybe I can program around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Chris, I can't control really what happens when you click to download the file. Flash doesn't support right clicking. When I click in Mozilla I get a download or listen option. I don't know what to do. Your option is to save it from Windows Media Player I guess.

I can set the volume level. Does every one support this option? The only problem is if you adjust it from the default, when it moves to the next track, that track resets to 50% as well. Maybe I can program around that.
    Embarrassingly, I have no idea how any of this stuff works. You want boring old business software? I can do that. But all this graphical and Flash stuff is rocket science to me. Of course, one of the things that I find extremely pesky about web stuff is "works on this browser, but not the same as on that browser". It's good you're testing with stuff beyond just IE.

I thought the concept of the current demo page was kinda neat, honestly, but this one just blows it away. Groovy stuff, man. No wonder you haven't been getting any sleep.

And speaking of sleep, I think that's where I'm off to. One of us has to do it, so it may as well be me...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Volume wasn't a problem for me, but i guess you could do that. Maybe 75 would be better?

Joseph,

This demo Player is a masterpiece.

There are about 1,000 demos that have been submitted over the past year. The old spinning java wheel, while novel, was not very practical.

To have every demo arranged by genre on one page is going to make things much easier to navigate the demos.

Hats off to you Joseph. You are amazing!

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum