• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garageband software instruments

Share/Bookmark

Garageband software instruments

Hey all,

I purchased a couple of Garageband Jam packs just for grins and am always impressed with the sound quality and playability of the instruments. But I only have an 800Mhz iMac G4 and Garageband won't playback even 5 tracks of software instuments without severe crackling. It's OK if I output a file. Anyhow I was wondering since these are basically just samples can I use them on my PC in Cubase? Or perhaps in GigaStudio? They are just aiff files so imagine it is possible. I just wonder if all the files would have to be converted to wav first.
    That would probably be too much trouble as one collection (Symphony) is about 10 gigs and the other Rhythm section is 5 gigs.
    My other option is to run a midi cable out from my Delta 1010LT from the PC into the Maudio midi interace on the Mac and the sound output from the Mac back into an input on the Delta 1010 and use the Mac to generate the sounds and just capture a track at a time. That would allow me to incorporate different instruments from the Mac but I would rather just have the sounds on the PC as it has alot more horsepower than the Mac.

Cheers,
    JS

Re: Garageband software instruments

Well naturally upgrading your basic Mac to full specs would solve everything.
    Next best option would be to use the GarageBand instruments on a more powerful system (like your PC). The GarageBand instruments are basically normal EXS instruments that can be found in the Library folder (Appl support>GarageBand>etc). They are fully compatible with Logic Pro and Logic Express. And they can be converted to about any other format with Translator. When you port them to PC's you need to convert from AIFF to WAV first (Translator could do that while converting I presume).
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Hi Michiel,

Well my iMac can't be upgraded short of buying a new Mac which I may do in the future at some point. I suppose I could get an external firewire audio card as the basic one that comes with the Mac sounds good but can't handle much in the way of realtime playback.
    Also I use CuBase on the PC. What is Translator?
    Is it part of Logic? Or just a standalone converter?

Cheers,
    JS

It's a seperate application: visit their wesbite
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Thanks Michiel I'll check into it.

Cheers,