• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan/Giga on same computer?

Garritan/Giga on same computer?

I'm now running Giga3 on a PC with XP and have the application on the C drive, and the samples, and the Impulses on the D drive.....My question is this...Since I don't know what loads or how it loads, will I be able to run the GPO application on the C drive, and the samples and ?? on the D drive ALONG with Giga without any conflicts ?.....I'm not looking to use both programs at the same time, I just want to know that there won't be any conflicts if they reside on the same drives ... I'm finding that PC's are kinda temperamental with various drivers/programs being loaded on the same computer ....Thanks for your help....Sincerely, Jim

Re: Garritan/Giga on same computer?

My advice, if you have enough RAM and won't be using the DFD extension, is to run GPO off your application drive and to install the GPO samples there. This will prevent any small issues that may occur. That is the safest way. However, it is worth noting that there are many people that have put the GPO samples on a separate drive during install and do this with no trouble. Its just that the defaul path is set to your application drive.

If you aren't running GPO and Giga at the same time, you can store the GPO samples anywhere. If you want to occasionally run them at the same time, definitely make sure that the GPO samples aren't on the same drive as the Giga samples.

I used to have an Echo MIA, and had some success and some problems running GPO and GS3 at the same time. Now I'm running an Audiophile 192. I'll have to give it a try again...

I run GS3, GPO, and a few other VSTis through Sonar 4, and I've never had any problems running things at the same time. I have my GPO files on my C: drive (i had some problems when the library was on a different drive) and then giga libraries on their own drive. Using a Echo Mia as my sound card and I haven't had any real problems.

I had two problems. Sometimes the clock rate on the MIA would get confused, and notes would be off by near an octave. ( I think it was confusing 96k with 44.1k.) Also, after starting GPO, GS3 thought my memory (1GB) was used up, so it wouldn't let me load more samples. That was with GS3.00. I haven't tried it with GS3.04.

But I've never had any problems launching them separately - with a re-boot just to clean things up for the sampler change.

I am running GS3.04 and GPO all on the C drive. However the GPO sound fonts are all in memory so they dont conflict with the streaming giga fonts from the C drive. If you are talking about GOS then I am sure you need at least 2 drives.

Thanks to all for the replies.....I wasn't aware that the default for GPO was to go to the C drive ....I thought it was similar to Giga whereby they reccomend loading to 2 different drives....My C drive is good by me ....I think I will go with the default .....Thanks agian....Sincerely, Jim

I don't let other software even know my Giga computer is in the same room It's working, and I'm not about to let that change!!

Anyway it works for me because one pc pretty much maxes out on GS3 and the other does GPO, all the VST stuff, etc. etc. It's a pretty robust system for two not awesomly fast machines.

I know what you mean .... Giga has a habbit of not playing well with others..
    Maybe we can teach this old dog some new trick's ...or maybe this old dog will come back to bite us in the butt ... ...I might as well be the guinea pig as I have to learn all the in's and out's of this operation anyway, even if it's the hard way....and it's been pretty hard so far , but would have been a lot worse without this forum and it's members.....Sincerely, Jim

Go Back to forum