• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need Guidance

Share/Bookmark

Need Guidance

Hi All, I'm a new member seeking advice.

I use the following equipment and have worked in the midi/audio realm (home studio) for over 10 years or so. K2500X, K2600R, Logic Plat 5.5, SoundDiver, SF 7, Waves, Finale, Etc... To this juncture I have worked only with accousic instruments/vocals and what instruments/samples I could load in the Kurz boxes. I build extensively from midi then adding audio.

I am ready to migrate to hardware samples so I don't have to load everytime I boot my Kurzs and want to take advantage of the vast HD based libraries. I record a lot of orchestral instruments based music.

I feel comfortable with Logic and prefer not to leave it as a sequencer. I will also remain PC based. (P4, 2.6Ghz, 2G mem.)

Suggestions for my next step in building toward a HD sample library environment? (Gigga, etc...)

If I have posted to the wrong group, my apologies, please direct me forward. If you need to take this offline, that is fine as well. Thanks for helping me make some decisions.

Warren warrencindy@peaces.com

Re: Need Guidance

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Peaces
    I am ready to migrate to hardware samples so I don't have to load everytime I boot my Kurzs and want to take advantage of the vast HD based libraries. I record a lot of orchestral instruments based music.

I feel comfortable with Logic and prefer not to leave it as a sequencer. I will also remain PC based. (P4, 2.6Ghz, 2G mem.)

Suggestions for my next step in building toward a HD sample library environment? (Gigga, etc...)
    It all depends on your budget and your preferences, I'd say. Your DAW host is certainly powerful enough to run some of the larger libraries, though you might still be better off with a dedicated computer if you're heading for the huge orchestra libraries. Gigasampler is certainly not the worst choice, but be aware that the amount of Giga stuff has somewhat diminished recently as lots of sample developers are capitalizing on engine-based libraries.
    If your budget is rather small, a dedicated software sampler machine won't make much sense, and you should look into a host-based lib like Garritan Personal Orchestra or EWQLSO Silver instead IMHO.

Cheers,
    jan

I would caution you on building your softsynth library with Logic on a PC. I to use Logic Plat. 5.5 and love it. Logic 5.5 is an old program not supported anymore, which I'm sure you know about. Some of the sample players have issues with Logic 5.5. GPO and EWQLSO are two. Hanging notes and other problems that I don't think have a work around. I to wanted more realistic orchestral sounds so I purchased EWQLSO Gold. I love the samples, but they would not work properly on Logic 5.5, so I purchased Cubase SX3. I really like Cubase so far. I also purchased Kontake 2 to replace the EXS24 sampler in Logic. Now I can convert any of my libraries (EXS24, GIGA,AKAi)to Kontakt, and play them in a supported, up todate program. If you decide to change programs, Sonar is also great on a PC.

If you stay with Logic 5.5, I would suggest using samples that work with the Logic 5.5 sampler EXS24. If you go to the GPO site there is a work around explaining how to use their library with Logic, but they say it is still problematic.

If you do 100% orchestral music, GPO and EWQLSO are great options, depending on your budget. If you want a wider variety of samples, you will want to look into GS3 and Kontakt and consider which libs they support, as well as features and overall costs. VSL's Opus 1 on GS3 is nice option. Kirk Hunter has released solo and section strings, with brass and woodwinds to follow.

A philosophic consideration is between dry samples and wet samples. EWQLSO was recorded in a concert hall, and includes various mic positions. VSL takes the dry route. The wet stuff sounds great, but is less flexible. The dry stuff sounds great - but only if you have a good reverb solution and know how to mix it. If you prefer dry samples, seriosuly consider GigaStudio 3.0 for its GigaPulse processing.

Both approaches work well, but the best choice really depends on your requirements.

-JF

Thanks to each of you for your responses. I have fought leaving Logic but would rather leave Logic than the PC environment. I guess it's time to look at Cubase after I finish my current projects.

I realise that each of you have been sensitive to the "cost" aspect. I am willing to spend up to $2,000 - $2,500 in moving to a new sequencer/audio and fairly broad base of samples. I do want as much orchestral instruments as I can, but still use many of the typical guitars, drums, voices, other sounds, etc... that I have loaded in my Kurzweils.

Anyway... if you care to add any more suggestions... and were to start where I am and had $2,500.00... (with out needing the PC or keyboard) build me a software system.

Thanks again, Warren

Oooh. The PCs are free? Then get two. One for GS3, and all of the great, open content available for that platform, and the other for VSTis, such as the various EWQL libs. Use the dedicated GS3 machine for pianos, drums (read some of the recent posts about Larry Seyer's drums), and whatever you want to mix and match. Use the second PC for Logic, synths (Reaktor? B4? Atmosphere?), and maybe EWQLSO Gold (if that's the sound/approach you want). Consider VSL Opus 1 and SAM/Kirk Hunter/Westgate on the GS3 side. Link MIDI between the machines with MIDIoverLAN, and use an outboard mixer to send the sound to your monitors.

And don't discount GPO on the VSTi/sequencer machine. It has three great sounding harps and celesta, and nice playability on the sustain instruments. For the price you only need to find a few instruments that you really like, or some gaps that it fills for you to be worthwhile.

So, tell us, which section of the orchestra is the most critical for you? For some it's a great string sound. For others it's blaring brass. Some most want woodwinds that play smooth runs. Decide which lib best satisfies your need for that critical section, and build from there.

-JF

Listen to every demo you can and read the user forums and websites for the different orchestral libraries. They all sound different and come at it from different ways. You need to find the ones that you can be musical with. It may take several to fill in any gaps.

I use:
    EWQLSO Gold
    Garritan Strings Lite
    Advanced Orchestra Upgrade
    Sam Horns
    Sam Trumperts
    Sam Trombones

I use EWQLSO the most along with the SAM products. I am thinking about getting GPO for some of the other instruments.

If you decide on Cubase SX3, you can find some competitive upgrades out there that will save you some money that can be used for other goodies. You will also need a software sampler Kontakt 2 is shipping soon. Most of the libraries come with a sampler either Kompakt or Kontakt, so if you don't need to convert other libraries or don't need to mess with the samples much, the included samplers or Kompakt may be just fine.

Go Back to forum