• Register
  • Help

Topic: Idea for Keyswitch MFX

Share/Bookmark

Idea for Keyswitch MFX

I think the keyswitch idea is great. But viewing the score after the keyswitch events are inserted can sometimes be very confusing.

Just wondering if anyone is developing something like this (or if one already exists?)... Not sure if it's possible...

A midi plugin (MFX for sonar) that read Lyrics to perform keyswitches.

Supposing you want the string patch to keyswitch to Pizzicato, just add a lyric event "pizz", and an invisible note for keyswitch is inserted into the track. Same for the others... "con sord"; "arco"; "tr1 (trill half-tones)", "tr2 (trill whole-tones)"; "con sord tr1", "trem"; "con sord trem";...

It'll good if the insert note (and trigger text) can edited, so it's versatile for different instruments, and can still be used when new updates arrive.

Some benefits -

- "cleaner" and clearer score
    - Easy import into notation programs. The performance directions will already be there.

Why MFX? Cos it performs in real-time, changes can easily be undone, bypassed, and rendered when the work is done.

Also, for Sonar users, right clicking on the lyric text (in score view) would bring up a dialog where you can enter the exact time for the event to take place, so you'll still have full control.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make an MFX plugin, or how they actually work. Wonder if it's possible?

Re: Idea for Keyswitch MFX

Actually, Sibelius already does that (not as lyrics though).

But how about this for an alternative in your sequencer? Simply make a parallel track for each stringed instrument track, using it only for keyswitches. Probably best to place them as a group below the proper ones. Then simply record your keyswitches (by actually playing the key) at the appropriate places.

I have already done this in Sonar and it works a treat. For cellos and double basses you have to set the keyswitch track to play an octave lower.

Sub_circuit,

Great idea. A MIDI switch from a lyric event in Sonar (or Cubase). If anyone can make such an MFX plug-in, Markleford can!

Gary Garritan

Interesting idea. However, I'm not sure how portable Lyric events are between hosts and notation programs, so that benefit might not actually be realized.

Also, Poolman is right: the simplest (out of the box) way is to use a second parallel track for keyswitches only, and then omit it when printing the score.

However, it's still probably possible. I'll take a look at it in the near future (very busy for the next two weeks or so!).

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Thanks...

sometimes in other threads I mentionned I use a Key aftertouch event containing the targeted keyswitch and midiox translate the event to the keyswitch while playing . Then the event list shows clearly where the keyswitches (The different color of the Key aftertouch) are applied. Perhaps it could be a nice path for Markleford to explore.

SergeD

Smile Re: Idea for Keyswitch MFX

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman
    Actually, Sibelius already does that (not as lyrics though).

But how about this for an alternative in your sequencer? Simply make a parallel track for each stringed instrument track, using it only for keyswitches. Probably best to place them as a group below the proper ones. Then simply record your keyswitches (by actually playing the key) at the appropriate places.

I have already done this in Sonar and it works a treat. For cellos and double basses you have to set the keyswitch track to play an octave lower.
    I'd like to add a postscript to my recommendation above (how to incorprate keyswitches easily into a sequencer.)

The parallel track idea works fine in Sonar, but in this program (and perhaps in others) there's a hidden problem with regard to control of volume and panning. I quote from the Sonar manual:

"If two or more MIDI tracks are set to the same output and channel but have different volume or pan settings, the settings for the highest-numbered track will prevail."

N.B. the highest-numbered track, not the track with the highest setting!
    This caused me problems for a while: I now think the best way to deal with the volume and pan problem is (presuming that the keyswitch group is below the main group) to set the main group volumes at zero and rely on the keyswitch settings. Similarly with the panning.

There's a hidden snag even to this! If you should later, for whatever reason, move the "highest-numbered tracks" above the main tracks, Sonar still remembers them as higher-numbered and will continue to obey their settings!

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman
    There's a hidden snag even to this! If you should later, for whatever reason, move the "highest-numbered tracks" above the main tracks, Sonar still remembers them as higher-numbered and will continue to obey their settings!
    The bastards! I guess they just assume that "most-recently added track" is "highest numbered"...

Maybe I can get back to this MFX idea soon...

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

In sonar, you can disable the volume and pan controls for any track by right clicking on the parameter and selecting disable.
    Bosco Adama

Go Back to forum