• Register
  • Help

Topic: Confusion about Volume control using Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Confusion about Volume control using Sonar

Hi,

I have a question. I just purchased and loaded up GPO on a seperate computer than my computer using Sonar. It took hours for me to set up a score that I was using with my JV synths to work with GPO. Now for some reason I can't seem to control the volume of the instruments using Sonar. Is this something I have to do in Personal Orchestra Studio? Is it something I'm missing in Sonar?

Thanks,
    Steve Lewis

Re: Confusion about Volume control using Sonar

Quote Originally Posted by stevel
    Hi,

I have a question. I just purchased and loaded up GPO on a seperate computer than my computer using Sonar. It took hours for me to set up a score that I was using with my JV synths to work with GPO. Now for some reason I can't seem to control the volume of the instruments using Sonar. Is this something I have to do in Personal Orchestra Studio? Is it something I'm missing in Sonar?

Thanks,
    Steve Lewis
    Well, the default volume control setting is gpo. You must change it if you wish it to be controlled by Sonar. Check the options in the GPO stand alone, and you will see a place to check the option of control by gpo or sequencer. The idea is that as volume increases, there is also a change in brightness in "live" instruments. So, best leave it at default, and use Sonar to increase velocity. And also, if you alter volume with your sequencer, you then have the ability (or problem) of making a very unrealistic orchestral balance, such as a C flute playing its lowest note powerful enough to drown out a large orchestra. So if your intent is to create something realistic, you would be defeating yourself by this method. A very strong point of GPO is that it can simulate a real orchestra rather well, and I do my best not to undo all the good work that went into it's production.

Discounting how much tweaking you want to do, you should have a score conversion in just a few minutes. You must map velocity information to CC1, mod wheel. What I have done successfully is to use the Midi File Translator, but I can't remember whether it is on GPO disk 4, or must be downloaded. The first step is to save a copy of your file as a midi type 1. The run the midi file tranlator, which does the necessary mapping in a second or two and saves the file again, identifying it as a gpo midi file. Then you can open it in Sonar, and proceed.

It is simpler if you use the VST version of GPO, because you don't have to load gpo studio first, and the vst version uses much less memory, so you can load more instruments with less trouble. If your version of Sonar does not have the VST adapter included, then you can achieve similar results using the DXi version, being aware that a tempo change involving a tied note will be a problem. The VST Adapter is available from Cakewalk for $39.00, I think.

If you prefer to use GPO Studio, read the manual about mod wheel default!

Richard

Confusion is over. I just had a wrong mapping of Sonar output to Kontact in Studio on my other machine. I made a text file of mappings of instruments in Sonar to the players 1-8 in GPO so I can keep track of it.

One thing I don't understand is why I shouldn't be doing this? It seems that if you have more control over your instruments the more realistic it will sound.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for your help,

Steve Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by stevel

One thing I don't understand is why I shouldn't be doing this? It seems that if you have more control over your instruments the more realistic it will sound.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for your help,

Steve Lewis
    Steve,

The mod wheel data is used to controls both volume and sound of the instrument - as it gets louder, the timbre also changes.

The normal volume controller affects just volume.

Therefore, you would use the volume controller to balance different instruments if necessary, but generally once the overall balance is correct, you would use the mod wheel to control the dynamics during the piece.

The default volume settings of each instrument are generally correct for an orchestral piece, but there may be occasions when these need tweaking - ditto the pan control.

I hope this explains it.....
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Go Back to forum