• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Classic Motif 8 Controller + "Bop Avenue"

Share/Bookmark

Classic Motif 8 Controller + "Bop Avenue"

Hi all,

It's been a while since I employed the wonderful voices of the Classic Motif 8 weighted keyboard controller. I hope to see future sound developers take a stake at the voices employed in the jazz genre. Since there are SO many variables in the articulations and velocities, this will be a huge challenge for many. As for now, this is what I am currently employing to express my thoughts on Bebop. A bit synthy but it keeps me in the mainstream of composing and performing jazz.

I wrote this Jazz composition in March of 2005. It has the spirit of the great Be-Bop period of Jazz. It features The Boresendorfer Imperial Grand Piano" & "The Bass" from Bardstownaudio.com. I have also included the great voices from the Classic Motif 8 which include; The Legend Trumpet, Sweet Flute, Sax Ensemble, Trombone and Dr. Jazz Kit Drums.

http://alanrussell-music.com/Bop%20Avenue.MP3

comments are always appreciated.

"Bop Avenue" @2005
    Composed, Arranged & Performed by
    Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Re: Classic Motif 8 Controller + "Bop Avenue"

I enjoyed your composition
    And Motif has a nice taste. I liked the piano part too.
    How do you always compose jazz ? Do you build up
    chords and then add melodic lines to it ?
    Or do you improvise with your piano or keyboard ?
    Because to me , composing jazz seems very difficult .
    I thought of challenging but it has a difficult image
    and don`t know where to start.

Veron,

I'll get back to you here later. I'm a bit busy cleaning up the abode at the a moment.

Alan Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Veron
    I enjoyed your composition
    And Motif has a nice taste. I liked the piano part too.
    How do you always compose jazz ? Do you build up
    chords and then add melodic lines to it ?
    Or do you improvise with your piano or keyboard ?
    Because to me , composing jazz seems very difficult .
    I thought of challenging but it has a difficult image
    and don`t know where to start.

Veron,

We know that every tune starts with an idea. I usually work out my chord movements first and then add melody to it which was in this case. This allows more separation and freedom away from triadic structural melodies that tend to gravitate to the applied chords.

Once the melody and chords are established, it's time to add some bottom (Bass). Many piano choruses (and takes) are taken while the bass and drum tracks are just hanging out for a bit more excitement.

I gave the melody to the muted trumpet and 1st flute. This wasn't an issue, it was just practicing the melody and this completed itself quickly. I also had the piano trailing them with slight syncopation in the left hand while the supportive sax ensemble chomped at the chords from time to time.

As the piano takes begin to improve, the bass and drum tracks get replayed several times according to what the newer piano track is doing. Other solos including the trombone are a matter of taste and adds variety to the score. Even a brief 16 bars of entry can be most effective adding another layer and color to the mix.

The challenge of presenting a Jazz work to the virtual community is certainly a challenge. It is a process that is tedious and cyclical. As you create it so many things have to undergo revisions. It reminds me of the guy spinning plates on a stick (Ed Sullivan Show in the 60's) If he doesn't look back at the ones slowing down, they will fall. This is my analogy to the Jazz genre process using midi equipment and samples.

Once the melody and chord foundation are firm, it's all in the creativity of the arrangement and the solo choruses that contribute to the cause. It's a good idea to observe the staff line on your comouter screen with keen eyes.

"Bop Avenue" represented the above process.

Thanks for your comments and stay in touch!

Alan Russell

Thank you for your very interesting reply

I`ve studied about chords ,but not jazz.
    So looks like I need to study about chords for jazz first .
    Even if i know about tensions , its hard when to use what and what .
    (For example , which chord and tension(`s) to use , and when ,to make it sound like jazz. )
    So maybe , I really don`t know about it ..

And for melodic lines(melody and improvisation parts) ,
    when and which scale to use . Or when , to use blue notes.
    It seems all complicated .

Thanks again for your reply !
    I really like the piano (the sound and the smooth cool lines its playing).
    Did you actually play it in realtime ?

Alan, nice tune. Very West Coast 50s-60s feel. I;m not ecstatic over the synth,but waiting for GPJB is getting frustrating...

I also like your exposition of the cyclic composition process. Exactly what I go through, as I don't work well writing on paper. I'm an improvisationalist first, so I write either on organ with a cassette recorder or track at a time on piano lib/sequencer. Typically, I either find a tempo and use some generic rhythm tracks (hat, snare and BD) as a click, or play free woth no click. Then add bass, then go back and refine the piano andbass tracks till I have a head. It may mean redoing a track half a dozen times (not counting the multiple takes) but each iteration is closer to a real performance.

Good job. Talk atcha later...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by Veron
    Thank you for your very interesting reply

I`ve studied about chords ,but not jazz.
    So looks like I need to study about chords for jazz first .
    Even if i know about tensions , its hard when to use what and what .
    (For example , which chord and tension(`s) to use , and when ,to make it sound like jazz. )
    So maybe , I really don`t know about it ..

And for melodic lines(melody and improvisation parts) ,
    when and which scale to use . Or when , to use blue notes.
    It seems all complicated .

Thanks again for your reply !
    I really like the piano (the sound and the smooth cool lines its playing).
    Did you actually play it in realtime ?

Veron,

Having an adequate library of the Jazz Masters with a daily ritual of listening and playing is the right prescription to get started. My first recommendation is to learn all of your chords and just comp them back and forth with a simple bass line on your keyboard. Once your left hand feels its roots, you can then begin to improvise and experiment. The Jamie Aebersold is a nice resource to own. http://www.grothmusic.com/cgi-local/...dd0+1110837893

All of my playing is done in real time. I can't see anybody just punching in notes using some kind of notation software and getting it to sound as feelingful as evident in a live jazz performance. The obstacles & hurdles that face many of us real time players are the samples. Hopefully G. Garritan and others will offer samples much closer to to what we hear in a Jazz Band. I have always had my fingers and toes crossed for this. There is so much to say on this subject.

All the best,

Alan Russell

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    Alan, nice tune. Very West Coast 50s-60s feel. I;m not ecstatic over the synth,but waiting for GPJB is getting frustrating...

I also like your exposition of the cyclic composition process. Exactly what I go through, as I don't work well writing on paper. I'm an improvisationalist first, so I write either on organ with a cassette recorder or track at a time on piano lib/sequencer. Typically, I either find a tempo and use some generic rhythm tracks (hat, snare and BD) as a click, or play free woth no click. Then add bass, then go back and refine the piano andbass tracks till I have a head. It may mean redoing a track half a dozen times (not counting the multiple takes) but each iteration is closer to a real performance.

Good job. Talk atcha later...
    Dasher,

always a pleasure hearing from you and thanks for taking the time for the listen. This Jazz genre seems to be always taking us around in circles in a productive sense. One thing for sure is that we do get to refine each track with the so many takes we need to process. This in my view makes us better players all around.

I'm looking foward in hearing more of Garitan's Big Band Library. Maybe the best is yet to come!

stay in touch!

Alan Russell

Very nice composition, bright and upbeat... Some of the sounds remind of the EX5 which I have, I imagine they made their way into the Motif...

Thank you for the resource . That really looks interesting !
    I don`t know why my country doesn`t have an interesting book
    like this .I`ve searched amazon in my country, but couldn`t
    find this book . So maybe I have to import it myself ...
    (international shipping fee, VAT , etc ...... I think it would cost more then the book itself )
    But the book really looks interesting .
    Giving a song as an example and playing it , and learning about
    jazz along the way .

I`ll try asking amazon if they could import it for me .

Thanks again for the resource !

Edited : I`ve read the policies right now, and it looks like
    they only ship to US destinations .....
    I`ll try asking amazon first.

Go Back to forum