• Register
  • Help

Topic: 'Prelude and Dance' - Work in Progress

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation 'Prelude and Dance' - Work in Progress

Alright, here is the first movement from my Festival for Orchestra in D Minor. I want to throw it up for some help and criticism....

I have not finished all the orchestration, but it is pretty much all there. Balancing of the instruments needs to be done as well.

Take a listen and let me know what is in need of improvement. (Probably a long post .

Thanks,
    Robert

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?pid=510313&T=1521

Smile Re: 'Prelude and Dance' - Work in Progress

Nice job!

I am in no place to provide thoughtful criticism regarding the compositional aspects of your orchestral piece. I'm learning/relearning this style/genre of music myself. But I can say is that I appreciated the expressiveness of your composition. I also simply enjoyed listening to your piece in and of itself. It works for me!

From a sequencing point of view. . . Again, Nice job! Through your presumed attention to midi-control and editing detail, your expressiveness through dynamics seems quite evident.

Finally. . . Listening to what you've started has left me wanting to hear more! Of course you know that's always a good thing!

Looking forward to hearing more!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: 'Prelude and Dance' - Work in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by robertb
    Alright, here is the first movement from my Festival for Orchestra in D Minor. I want to throw it up for some help and criticism....

I have not finished all the orchestration, but it is pretty much all there. Balancing of the instruments needs to be done as well.

Take a listen and let me know what is in need of improvement. (Probably a long post .

Thanks,
    Robert

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?pid=510313&T=1521
    Robert,

I enjoyed listening to this excerpt from your 'Festival for Orchestra in D min'. Very good composition. I like how you contrasted the instruments. Just a short suggestion, try speeding up the tempo to hear how it sounds - it may sound good in areas.

Like Ted says, it left me wanting more.

Thanks for posting this and I look forward to hearing more of your music.

Gary Garritan

Thank you for the comments.

Gary, I will take your suggestion regarding tempo. I was really trying to get a more rubato performance for the prelude section. I really need more pratice manipulating tempos in the sequncer (just got it last week...).

I am also having a hell of a time with the percussion. I have heard some very convincing timpani produced by other members on this forum, but haven't been able to perfect the technique myself.

Hey guys, how about a midi timp and general percussion tutorial?

Robert

Wasn't sure where the Dance started -- as late as 4 1/2"? If so, maybe the proportions are a little askew. The early music did seem to need more going on, either in tempo or rigor or weight or something.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    Wasn't sure where the Dance started -- as late as 4 1/2"? If so, maybe the proportions are a little askew. The early music did seem to need more going on, either in tempo or rigor or weight or something.
    Thank you for your forthright critique.

Kidding aside,

The "Dance" as presented in the excerpt is too short, but I had not completed the orchestration for the remainder and cut it for the demo the entire section goes on for another couple of minutes.

The early section is slow,as pointed out above. I may speed it up a bit and will definitely work on the individual performances and dynamics. Thank you again.

Go Back to forum