• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Anything You Say on AOL Instant Messaging May Be Used Against You

Share/Bookmark

OT: Anything You Say on AOL Instant Messaging May Be Used Against You

America Online, Inc. has quietly updated the terms of service for its AIM instant messaging application which allows AOL to use anything and everything you send through AIM in any way they see fit, and without notifying you. A sample provision reads: '...by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any right to privacy.'"

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1775649,00.asp

Following the recent court rulings in favor of Apple, it is all the more important to be cautious of what is said in chat rooms and forums. Further erosion of free speech?

Angry Re: OT: Anything You Say on AOL Instant Messaging May Be Used Against You

I don't know about Free Speech issues. Under our current political climate, certainly an erosion of free speech within our country, in general, is a major concern.

...by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any right to privacy. . .
    How about PRIVACY?!?!?

And how about Copyright issues?!?!?

Note to self. . . 1) Read the fine print, and 2) Do NOT become an AOL member.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: OT: Anything You Say on AOL Instant Messaging May Be Used Against You

Holy crapzor. Well I always hated AOL and AIM anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    America Online, Inc. has quietly updated the terms of service for its AIM instant messaging application which allows AOL to use anything and everything you send through AIM in any way they see fit, and without notifying you. A sample provision reads: '...by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any right to privacy.'"

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1775649,00.asp

Following the recent court rulings in favor of Apple, it is all the more important to be cautious of what is said in chat rooms and forums. Further erosion of free speech?

Well, I had already planned to remove Netscape, because there is so much AOL embedded in it. So Netscape is gone, Firefox is my default browser. I removed as many traces of AOL from my system as I could find, including removal of some registry entries.

I never understood the need for or the widespread use of this encumbrance called AOL.

I have passed the warning on, and will do so at every opportunity!

richardw

Flash!
    The Internet originated from one central location and source. No one is immune!
    Styxx

Well, gee!
    That stinks!
    Hmmm, I really should start reading fine print!

Chris

I can certainly understand the concern. I don't use AIM to give away private information, to do illegal file-sharing, or anything I would imagine AOL would have any interest in. Regardless, it's annoying and a bit creepy when you're told "someone may be watching you . . ."
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Exclamation Re: OT: Anything You Say on AOL Instant Messaging May Be Used Against You

Technically, (if I read this correctly) If someone Im’ed a lyric to a colleague while collaborating on a song, IT IS NOW THE PROPERTY OF TIME/WARNER!

Wow! The hits just keep on coming .
    Watch out folks!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Thanks for drawing attention to this clause, which also appears in the AOL UK terms and condictions. My reading of the whole paragraph is that it is meant to apply to material posted in publicly accessible areas only (forums and chat rooms etc). It also demands indemnity in case users post material which is not their own copyright. However, this sort of term is not new or unique to AOL. It used to be (and probably still is) the case that if you agreed to give an interview to a TV programme, the producer would suddenly slip a similar waiver of copyrigt on a slip of paper and ask you sign. I suspect the dead hand of the legal world under this sort of contract rather than scheming con-men in the media companies. But you can't be too cautious.

Go Back to forum