• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Those Using Giga 3 with MAC Setups?

Share/Bookmark

Cool Those Using Giga 3 with MAC Setups?

Ok, well, here is one question...

Of those here using MACS (sequencer), and GIGA 3, would you mind posting your "specific" set-up?

There seems to be a few different ways about going to this and am curious about the lot of them.

Cheers and thanks.
    Last edited by wells; 03-14-2005 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Addition

Re: Those Using Giga 3 with MAC Setups?

I thought Gigsampler was PC only....

he means a mac-sequencer connected through <insert setup here> to a gigastudio pc :-)

Wells,

I don't have Giga 3 but still 2.5 and a Mac where I do my sequencing and mixing.
    I do it the pre 'FX Teleport' way. I have GSIF card on my Giga pc and take lightpipe out to my Digi 001 light pipe card on my mac. So in Pro Tools or whatever software on the mac side you have 8 channels coming in.
    I'm debating about which way to go with this. On the Mac side, I'm wanting to upgrade my OS before I try teleport. Also, I don't know where TASCAM is. The upgrade took so long. For my needs, I like the orchestral sounds, but KONTAKT has really taken over IMO. VSL to me is the only reason I would want Giga at this point.

Sincerley,

Jonathan

I simply have Giga on two machines, connected by lightpipe to one of the MOTU 2408 boxes on my Mac. Since the Frontier cards on the Giga machines have no word clock inputs, I'm using their S/PDIF inputs for clock.

(I also have a Pro Tools Mix system on the same Mac, but that's irrelevant to the issue.)

I run ProTools on the Mac and connect 4 PCs using RME Hammerfall cards via lightpipe and spdif to my Digidesign 192 and 1622. Depending on the project, the PCs can run Giga 3, Giga 2.5 or any combination of software instruments. I also recently switched to using MidiOverLan CP for my MIDI data.
    Last edited by Will Loconto; 03-14-2005 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typo fix

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    I simply have Giga on two machines, connected by lightpipe to one of the MOTU 2408 boxes on my Mac. Since the Frontier cards on the Giga machines have no word clock inputs, I'm using their S/PDIF inputs for clock.

(I also have a Pro Tools Mix system on the same Mac, but that's irrelevant to the issue.)

Very similar setup here ... lightpipe to Mac from Pcs - all hard wired midi (still fearful of midi over lan) - i have all cards clocked to Aardvark Sync.

Each output from the PCs shows up as an input channel in Logic, etc.

Very painless!

The key is balancing what the role of the PCs and the Mac ... there are some samples that are better off being kept on the Mac, and others better left in Giga land.

AND - having load and go templates.

Also, i use Remote Desktop to communicate with the PCs - no Keyboard/Video/Mouse .... all controlled via Apple Remote Desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by SWL
    Very similar setup here ... lightpipe to Mac from Pcs - all hard wired midi (still fearful of midi over lan) - i have all cards clocked to Aardvark Sync.

Each output from the PCs shows up as an input channel in Logic, etc.

Very painless!

The key is balancing what the role of the PCs and the Mac ... there are some samples that are better off being kept on the Mac, and others better left in Giga land.

AND - having load and go templates.

Also, i use Remote Desktop to communicate with the PCs - no Keyboard/Video/Mouse .... all controlled via Apple Remote Desktop.
    Whoa whoa whoa....... I was under the impression that Apple remote desktop did not work with windows remote desktop??

I have been thinking of doing something like this myself.... This summer I will be investing a large amount of $$$ into my current setup. I have been debating wheather to buy sampler PC's dedicated to GIGA and purchase the giga libraries (VSL, SAM etc), or purchase a new G5 and work exclusively in EXS and KONTAKT.... What do you think?

My main concern is the amount of input channels that you can get from the giga machine. Can you only get 8 channels out and into the sequencer machine? If this is the case maybe it is better to use most libraries on the sequencer machine. I am confident that come summer apple will release a tower with dual multicore processors so I think if I hold out untill then the new mac with the Tiger OS should be able to handle a lot. I also thought about being able to somehow harness some of my G4 tower in that setup as well but haven't figured it out yet.

Is anyone using multiple macs for distributed virtual instruments? If so what is your 'specific setup'. Is there an equivalent of FX teleport for OSX?

Any guidance and opinions would be helpful.

-Jordo

Yes, i use Apple Remote Desktop (admin) on the Mac. And i use RealVNC (freeware client) on the PCs. If you have other remote desktop experience, you will understand that the screen redraw is a bit dodgy at times, but i never need realtime display .... load, edit, etc.

Did you ever mention what sequencer ?

On PC1 - i have 16 channels (8 from Giga, 8 from VStack)
    On PC2 - i have 16 channels from VStack

Also, for instance - when running QLSO - i have Strings on PC1 - Brass/Winds on PC2 and Percussion on the host Mac as well as Stormdrum, EXS, etc).

If you use Logic, you can use the G4 as a node for native Logic plugins (no samplers or 3rd party) - or use it to run VStack.

FXTeleport is mac friendly now (i believe) ????

I like Giga, so i cant go all mac. But Kontakt is great too! Still ---- i cannot image putting all the burden on the host machine.

Thanks for some of the replies, yes, I meant exactly what one poster replied with, using the MAC as a sequencer...

But this raises a few other questions...

I understand some of FXteleport way, although not sure if it works with MAC and PC.

The second is, while I understand that lightpipe/ADAT can supply 8/16 outs from PC, you would need another card in the mac (for example) that has 2xADAT connections to receive the 16 audio tracks from the PC correct? If so, when you hit PLAY (on your MAC), what set-up do you use to "start" if you will, the GIGA 3 to play, i.e., synch up with the MAC, are you using wordclocks on the said cards? Do most of you have the same cards on both (examples) PC and MAC, lastly, I'm sure there has to be a firewire way to bring the samples into the MAC from the PC, you would think that we're almost at that point where ADAT/lightpipe would be superceded by firewire or mLAN, although I still read this is still very glichy.

I'm asking a lot of questions in the above, and of course, as always, appreciate any one-by-one point, by point anwsers, unless of course it's been anwsered in previous post's and I'm failing to see the solution(s).

Thank you again as this is very important.

Go Back to forum