• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Evaluating Kirk Hunter Concert Strings

Share/Bookmark

Evaluating Kirk Hunter Concert Strings

I'm seriously looking at purchasing this library, I've heard some good stuff about it.

I was wondering if anyone who owns it (or Kirk himself) could demonstrate the staccatos for me... I'd like to hear the quickest, sharpest staccatos possible with the library. What I'd really like to hear:

* violins, staccato, but at a very soft level (around pp)
    * violins, staccato, strong (around mf to f)
    * cellos, staccato, strong (around mf to f)

I'd really appreciate it. I've got an upcoming project and might have a use for these.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: Evaluating Kirk Hunter Concert Strings

Sam,

I own the Kirk Hunter strings and would be happy to do a staccato test for you, unfortunately, I won't be able to get around to it until tonight (about 8pm central time).

If no one else has gotten to it by then - you can look for my test around then.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    Sam,

I own the Kirk Hunter strings and would be happy to do a staccato test for you, unfortunately, I won't be able to get around to it until tonight (about 8pm central time).

If no one else has gotten to it by then - you can look for my test around then.

Alan
    That'd be awesome. No rush, Alan.

Lee: I'll do a search and check out some of those demos..
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Sam,

EDIT: I got it up here for you. Hope its what you want to hear.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Strange sound.

Thanks, Alan. Hmm, yeah.. something sounds odd about it. I can't quite place it.

Hmmm..it does have a sharp attack though..very nice.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Sam,

I have purchased the library, anything that sells in dollars is good for us in the UK at the moment You certainly do get a lot for the money. I think it is true to say that the library has a unique sound, and inevitably this will lead to polarised views of the quality of it.

Just my thoughts

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske

I also notice that the $399 price for the Kontakt version is still on the website after the deadline passed
    The home page lists the newest library shipping as the Concert Brass with the $299 price intro price. Under KH Libraries, Concert Strings shows $599 for Kontakt and GS versions.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    I'm seriously looking at purchasing this library, I've heard some good stuff about it.

I was wondering if anyone who owns it (or Kirk himself) could demonstrate the staccatos for me... I'd like to hear the quickest, sharpest staccatos possible with the library. What I'd really like to hear:

* violins, staccato, but at a very soft level (around pp)
    * violins, staccato, strong (around mf to f)
    * cellos, staccato, strong (around mf to f)

I'd really appreciate it. I've got an upcoming project and might have a use for these.
    DEMOS
    http://www.kirkhunter.com/libraries/strings.shtml#

For staccatos, you could listen to the MEDIUM demo by Jeff Beal. One demo with staccatos, Midnight Feeding should be reposted today (I apologize for the inconvenience).

Under Classical Snippets, please listen to the Rite of Spring.

How sharp you get the staccatos depends on the version you get. With the Kontakt version, we have a folder with programs where you can specifically control attack and release using Controllers 27 and 28.

All of the dynamics you're looking for are available, however, I believe the softest is p.

Also included in the library is a single layers folder for all the articulations. This is organized by dynamics (p, mp, etc.).
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

I love the strings - don't know what you mean by a "strange sound"?

The word strange is very subjective.

Anyway - the strings are working great here for my debut album (in production now) and I'm very glad I got them at the intro price.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Go Back to forum