• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Free" Drugs!!!

Share/Bookmark

"Free" Drugs!!!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    The following link explains one great way in which the government will use your money if you let it:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,150076,00.html
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Thumbs down Re: "Free" Drugs!!!

Well, gee!
    That's stupid!
    Taxdollars are going to heroin addicts who have nothing better to do with their lives! I say that if the government is trying to get heroin addicts to come clean, they shouldn't give it to them, but spend money for an institution for helping these people come clean!

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Chris

Re: "Free" Drugs!!!

They did that in England at one point too (maybe they still do). I don't know how well it worked.

But I have no moral objection to that approach; I'd rather give them heroin than have them hit people over the head to get the money for it. And I'd rather put the drug mafia out of business too - to say nothing of hepatitis, aids, etc. It seems very likely that the cost of the heroin would be much lower than the costs of fighting the crime and paying for the healthcare.

My only objections would be if it didn't work, and I have no idea whether it did/does. Does it create more addicts? I sort of doubt that, but I don't know.

And of course there have to be free withdrawal clinics available too, but unfortunately people aren't always able to quit. It's not as simple as "they have nothing better to do with their lives."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    But I have no moral objection to that approach; I'd rather give them heroin than have them hit people over the head to get the money for it.
    I have a major moral objection to it. (But that comes as no surprise to you, does it? )

By what right are people to be taxed to the benefit of heroin addicts? Oh yes, many will likely reply that it is in their own best interests since these people won’t commit crime to feed their fix. While that seems to make pragmatic sense, it is completely wrong in principle.

Each individual must be held responsible for their own actions. But by taxing the population to pay for free drugs to the addicts, we are transferring responsibility for the bad choices of the addicts to the innocent tax-payers. Furthermore, we are ACCOMODATING a deadly habit for the express purpose of sheltering these people from having to be held accountable for their own choices and actions. This sends not only a wrong message, but a deadly one – especially to young people.

What’s more, people considering experimentation with drugs need only “show up” and get their free sample. If they like it, they just keep coming back.

Oh, jesus, Brady -- do you know ANYTHING???
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

I'd rather give them heroin than have them hit people over the head to get the money for it.
    Really?

Isn't that a bit like giving in to terrosrists' demands?

I know you're not outright supporting this as you stated that you have no idea whether it would work, but I would be opposed to this on principle. I mean, if I had a store and some mafiosos came around demanding money for protection, the analogy would be to tell me "Well, they just want to protect you so you should give them the money". We are not acknowledging that the only thing the mafiosos are protecting me from is them.

Our drummer got hooked on heroine....it happens a lot in the music world. At first we were just concerned with it in general. It's kind of obvious that this drug can destroy peoples' lives and so it's foolish to even experiment with it. Then he became flakey. It didn't take a year before he was more dedicated to the drug than the band. Then he broke into our record label's studio and stole some gear. At this point we were STILL trying to be supportive. He tried to clean up and the label eventually said that he could be back in the band. then I let him crash at my place cause he was completely destitute. He ended up ripping off my entire CD collection (over 200 CDs at the time) and then stealing my checkbook and writing checks to himself.....in his name.

So then I kicked him out and we found out a few weeks later that he was arrested for mugging an old lady and holding up a Baskin Robbins with a knife. 20 years he got for that, out in 12, which is coming up in 3 years or so.

Despite that he was always somewhat of a narcissist I never would've expected him to sink to that level. And this is a typical heroine story. We tried everything we could to help this guy get out of it's grip and nothing helped.

So I'm convinced that this drug does nothing but destroy. It's practically a foregone conclusion that you'll totally ~~~~ your whole life up once you start doing it. I certainly don't think it's right or fair to enable people to continue doing it. And to offer it for free at a clinic is, well, enabling them, allowing those who might not be over their heads yet to get in deeper.

Sorry for the long rant.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    Oh, jesus, Brady -- do you know ANYTHING???
    You're right, Rob. What was I thinking? This is a great idea. This way, Canada (and any other country doing this type of thing) can absorb all the undesirables, thereby taking them off our hands - all at no cost to us! Furthermore, many of the sensible people living there will eventually become fed up with it all and move here.

It's win-win for us! I take back everything I said.

They did that in England at one point too (maybe they still do). I don't know how well it worked.

But I have no moral objection to that approach; I'd rather give them heroin than have them hit people over the head to get the money for it. And I'd rather put the drug mafia out of business too - to say nothing of hepatitis, aids, etc. It seems very likely that the cost of the heroin would be much lower than the costs of fighting the crime and paying for the healthcare.

My only objections would be if it didn't work, and I have no idea whether it did/does. Does it create more addicts? I sort of doubt that, but I don't know.
    OMG Nick, I like you. You know I like you but.....

This is the most apathetic stances one can take on Drugs. Help the people get off it. The Government shouldn't be their dealer.

Getting people off drugs isn't as hard as some people think. I've helped 3 people do it. It just takes work and caring about the other person. And the right treatment or technology to do it. Most of the withdrawls are actually just vitamin deficiencies because the drungs themselves consume vitamins from the body and if you replace them it reduces the withdrawl effects. Another thing is that drug users get internalized into their own minds becuase of the drugs and pain. Just getting them extroverted again helps them a lot. Then find a good detox center that actually works and there are quite a few. Stay away from methedone as it's only just another drug. That with some good sleep and believe it or not a lot of people get off drugs.

The Gov. can't care about people so they have to enable them. It's obsurd I tell you obsurd.

Jose

This is the most apathetic stances one can take on Drugs. Help the people get off it. The Government shouldn't be their dealer.
    Then let me ask you this: how do you feel about the government giving out syringes in order to avoid the spread of diseases by shared needles?

Is that enabling them too?

Not in my opinion.

Again, I'm only in favor of this if it works. I have no idea how successful it was in England...and other places - didn't Amsterdam have a similar thing?

Brady: why do you hate government so much? This is another case of ideology over reality. You don't want to pay for heroin, but what if the alternative is paying a much higher price for crime and serious health problems (AIDS and hepatitis)? Heroin is expensive because it's illegal; it would cost very little if it were produced legally (remember, in England they give it to terminal cancer patients). This would put the drug mafia out of business in the process as well.

Frog: no, it's not like giving in to terrorists' demands. The reason countries don't like to negotiate with terrorists is that it's only going to embolden them. Junkies don't work that way; they simply have an overwhelming physical craving for heroin that trumps all else.

If this has proven effective - IF - then it could be a practical solution to a problem that simply has no other solutions. I already said that it has to be combined with drug clinics, but the fact is that a lot of people have relapses. They just can't help it; the lure is that strong.

Would it encourage people to become junkies? Intuitively I doubt it, but that's the only potential problem.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast