• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: BRAINSTORMING - Composition Seminar?

Exclamation BRAINSTORMING - Composition Seminar?

Here is my idea. I have presented it in a few other posts, but it is coming together better in my mind now. In addition to one on one composition lessons I intend to teach once the applications get organized, I was think of having a continually running thread that was an Assignment and Critique Composition Seminar. Every week I would present the lesson and assignment. Everyone who wanted to take part could submit an assignment for critique by me.

To simplify things, there would be a few prerequisites, that are not binding.

1.... It would be wise to be able to read music.
    2.... Some basic music theory knowledge would make the course easier. The student should at least know intervals, scales, and chords.
    3.... Optional.... It would be best to turn in assignments in the Finale format. Finale has a program called Notepad on their site that is free. If you work in Sibelius or Overture, a pdf or screenshots of the score would suffice. If this is not possible (or too much trouble), a mid file can be imported into Finale.

Possible Syllabus:

Each Composition Seminar will be in 6 parts.
    The first seminar would roughly consist of:

1... Basic composition technique. Assignment for unaccompanied solo instrument of instructor's choice.
    2... More in depth look at motivic and melodic development. Assignment for piano.
    3... Discussion of harmony. Assignment for piano and solo instrument or voice.
    4... Discussion of modes and scales. Assignment for string quartet.
    5... Discussion of rhythm. Assignment for woodwind quintet.
    6... Final summation. Assignment for small ensemble of student's choice.

Further seminars could build on what is taught in the first. The first will teach the most rudimentary compositional skills. It will be helpful to almost anyone from beginning to mid-level compositional ability. It may give perspective also to advanced composers who can see things done a different way.

If enough people are interested in this, I can start tonight.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: BRAINSTORMING - Composition Seminar?

Count me in. That sounds great!

I'm a little leery of the Finale requirement, but I'll check out Notepad anyway.

Finale is not necessarily a requirement. I can import MIDI files into Finale, but some kind of notation is somewhat necessary as notating is part of the training I want to present.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Yeah, I'd be up for this too.

Sounds interesting.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Wilton, NH

Sounds interesting.
    Trent P. McDonald

I'm interested, as well!

Sounds really interesting !

hmmm interesting....
    id do this for sure.

Excellent, guys. I will start this up within the next day or so.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Great topics you plan to cover.

This forum is promising to turn out the most valuable resource for musicians on the internet ever.

I am already fearing the information burnout on my side!!

Go Back to forum