Share/Bookmark

dream-machine

I have a Dell Workstation 210 which I could use to run GS:
    -2 x Pentium III 550 Mhz processors
    -512 MB of RAM
    -2 SCSI ultra wide2 Hard Disks 18GB 1Meg Cache/10000RPM
    -CD read/write
    -WINDOWS 98 operating system

Would GS run with this machine? Any comment is welcome.

Re: dream-machine

You\'re taking the piss, right?

I think you could probably control the orbit of Jupiter with that machine.

Bob

Actually, you need THREE P3 550\'s to get full polyphony.

Great Setup. The only limitation is, Win98 cannot use the second cpu.
    I\'m running a similar configuration and I\'m waiting for Win2000.

Wolfgang
    www.mp3.com/wolly

I am waiting, too. Everybody´s waiting for windows 2000. Release will be 2001...

The 2nd CPU won\'t help you until Win2000, since Giga doesn\'t run under NT.
    It seems to me after reading about the Athlon chip (K7) that it will be the next high-end, multi-processor chip (up to 14 CPUs). With it\'s 200 MHz bus it should be the next super desktop machine, so if you are considering buying the BEST system, you might want to research that.
    The sytem you describe will run GS with no problem, though, even with only one CPU in use. It\'s runnning fine for me on a Celery 400/UDMA HD/128 MB.

BeOS BeoS BeOS. . .

Screw win 2000 and microsoft all together. . .win 2000 will have consumer and pro-in otherwords microsoft is still going to keep the win95/98 line alive and all the audio programs will remain on the win2000 consumer (windows95 v3), the windows2000 pro (nt5) will probably be another good server OS with no pro-audio support. . .We all need to push for BeOS because it has what we want now and it is built for multimedia from the ground up offering the ability to split individual operational strands to different processors so that multi-threading is not even required. BeOS has an ultra low latiency driver built in so all BeOS compatable sound cards would be giga compatable- E-mail nemesys now and checkout www.harmonycentral.com for BeOS news. . .

I\'m with Ryan! I saw a demo of BeOS about a year ago and it was phenomenal to say the least, and I\'m sure its even better now. Neither Windows nor MacOS even come close to the awesome multimedia capabilities of this operating system. I\'m pretty sure I read somewhere that Nemesys has plans to port GigaSampler over to BeOS sometime in the near future. If this is true, hopefully it will happen in the VERY near future! Can anyone confirm this?

I\'m with Ryan! I saw a demo of BeOS about a year ago and it was phenomenal to say the least, and I\'m sure its even better now. Neither Windows nor MacOS even come close to the awesome multimedia capabilities of this operating system. I\'m pretty sure I read somewhere that Nemesys has plans to port GigaSampler over to BeOS sometime in the near future. If this is true, hopefully it will happen in the VERY near future! Can anyone confirm this?

I\'m sure BeOS versions of *any* pro-audio product are way off in the distant future. However, with regards to Microsoft\'s upcoming releases of it\'s OS\'s, both Windows 2000 versions include *MUCH* more recent DirectX functionality (version 7.0 I think...) This will also include DirectSound (which would push the buffer latency down on many audio cards if it\'s implimented by the card manufacturer.) So, even if we do get stuck with a Microsoft OS for the next couple of years, it won\'t be as bad as the difference between NT4 and Win9x is today.

Question for Nemesys: Are there any plans on supporting DirectSound in the near future?

Go Back to forum