• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Old Question: RME Midi Fix Still no driver fix?

Share/Bookmark

Old Question: RME Midi Fix Still no driver fix?

Hi,

Does anybody know if RME ever fixed the issue with the conflict between Gigastudio3 and the RME midi drivers. I saw in here that you had to do a registry hack to fix it but I was wondering if RME ever corrected it in a new driver version. I was looking around at the RME web site on the version history but didn't find anything. I'm assuming it hasn't been fixed yet. Just asking as I just got the Multiface and I think I may have this issue but haven't fully checked out my system yet. Thanks.

Re: Old Question: RME Midi Fix Still no driver fix?

I may have jumped the gun on this. I just checked my registry and it looks like it is OK. I'm going to start hooking up the rest of my midi gear and start real testing.

Smile Re: Old Question: RME Midi Fix Still no driver fix?

Hi,

Did some testing and it does look like RME fixed that midi issue (I'm using the latest drivers, 2.82a). There were separate entries for both gigastudio and RME in the registry. One note, I already had gigastudio installed so don't know if that would make any difference. I noticed from the old posts that allot of people had issues when they first upgraded to GigaStudio3. But I already had it on the computer. The only thing I was changing was upgrading to the RME Multiface card from an M-Audio 192 card.

I do have one question tho. In GigaStudio, I noticed 3 midi inputs. One was just listed as Midi 1 I believe. The other two had "(low latency)" in the description. I could not get them to work. However, I did get the "Midi 1" to work fine. So I was using that one and everything seems to work great. So it's not a big deal at this point but I was wondering if I was doing something wrong with the low latency drivers. I will do some searching in the forum for anything on this also.

Thanks,

Damian

Quote Originally Posted by Daysean2
    Hi,

I do have one question tho. In GigaStudio, I noticed 3 midi inputs. One was just listed as Midi 1 I believe. The other two had "(low latency)" in the description. I could not get them to work. However, I did get the "Midi 1" to work fine. So I was using that one and everything seems to work great. So it's not a big deal at this point but I was wondering if I was doing something wrong with the low latency drivers. I will do some searching in the forum for anything on this also.

Thanks,

Damian
    I have an RME HDSP system and I also can't get the low latency Midi I/O working, does anyone know if the drivers are GSIF-2?

hv

The low latency devices should be the special GSIF2 kernel-level midi drivers. They only appears in GS3 as far as I know. With my Tascam units I can select the low latency devices in gs3 for midi input and play gs3 instruments with them from a midi keyboard for improved responsiveness. That's the only way to use them as far as I know. When recording midi, for instance, I have to configure Sonar to gets it's input from the regular midi port it sees and echo output to a gsif virtual midi-out which gs3 sees... in which case I set gs3 physical midi-in ports to none.

Howard

From reading past posts what I understand is that the RME drivers are not GFIS2 compatible. The audio is GFIS2, but not the midi drivers. So I guess you can't use the "low latency" version of these drivers in GigaStudio. I couldn't find anything on RME's site about if this has been corrected or not. I'm using the latest drivers so it would have to be in a new version. Does anyone know when they will be fixing this issue? If it is a driver issue (maybe I'm doing something wrong??)?

I wouldn't worry too much about GSIF2 MIDI, unless you play live, direct from the MIDI keyboard.

Most of us run the MIDI into our sequencers, and the sequencer output into Giga. This brings the MIDI up into the application layer and bypasses the whole GSIF2 MIDI thing.

But, if you play live piano direct from the keyboard, then GSIF2 MIDI is definitely a plus.

-JF

Angry Re: Old Question: RME Midi Fix Still no driver fix?

Driver 2.83 is out

Doesn't fix the problem however

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I wouldn't worry too much about GSIF2 MIDI, unless you play live, direct from the MIDI keyboard. -JF
    Jon,

Are you saying that GSIF2 MIDI is not really an issue of your coming in from an outboard sequencer (as I am with DP on a G4.) That things won't get sluggish with big orchestral arangements with lots of tracks and even Gigapulse?

Thanks,

Dave Connor

hv

I think it depends on how you actuate gs3. If the sequencer is running on the same machine you'd most likely be playing gs3 via the sequencer's virtual gs midi out... with which I've never noticed any midi latency, even with gs2. But if gs3 was on a separate machine and hooked to the sequencer machine with midi cables, then you'd probably want to use gs3's low latency midi ins. Just keep in mind that you'd still be subject to any midi latency your sequencer might experience with real midi ports.

I've heard there's another gsif2 issue relating to midi rules and vsl performance tool emulation. I really have not gotten into that stuff myself but wonder if the gsif2 midi rules are available when the sequencer does the playback through the virtual midi port.

Howard

Go Back to forum