• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Question from the Experience here........eeeek! Long Post!

Share/Bookmark

A Question from the Experience here........eeeek! Long Post!

Hi Folks - If anyone's going to know, it'll be here.

It's fairly obvious that I'm not a composer, but merely some chap who likes to see if a computer can emulate a symphony orchestra and how well. Plus it don't hurt that I love the music as well. In the past, this desire has been met with some successes, but mostly failures.

Back in '96-99, I was knee-deep in the world of ROM-based synths, and boasted of being able to render up to 128 MIDI channels of music (oooooo aahhhhh). Boy did I try. The truth is, most of the works sounded like caca, mainly because of the limitations of the technology, and the fact that most MIDI geeks were rockers and head-bangers. The only folks who paid attention to the instruments of the orchestra enough to create realistic samples were Vitous and a couple of others, whose names I can't remember, but they cost many, many monies, and were out of the reach of most folks like you and me.

As technology progressed (affordable technology), Soundfonts came along. Soundfonts are OK, but they require you to use, quite frankly, noisy soundcards. I lived in the world of Soundfonts for quite awhile until GigaStudio, GOS, Quantum Leap Brass, Ultimate Percussion, and many others came along. However, one of the really cool things about Soundfonts was that I was able to create my own samples where I needed them. I created a gloriously brash and loud TAM-TAM, and I was able, finally, to create a massive, chair-moving, room-rattling bass-drum. Here's a ample sample that I did in '99.

The trouble is that my new world of ultra-quiet soundcards, GPO, GigaStudio, and all of the sample sets, with some quite expensive GigaStudio samples BTW, could not deliver effectively when it came to a loud and quite attention-getting TAM-tam, or an equally wonderful earth-shattering bass drum.

While GPO is wonderful in nearly all respects that I've played around with, and I LOVE IT, I still can't get these two sounds that I so desperately want.

Does anyone know to convert SF2 files to files that can be read by GSt? I tried, but there needed to be a lot more finesse or editing parameters. When I converted, they all started and ended with a resounding "CLICK", so were essentially useless. I'm open to spending some $$$ to get away from Soundfonts if anyone has any ideas.

Stevemitchell

Re: A Question from the Experience here........eeeek! Long Post!

You can try the chicken sys converter. They run a forum here as one of our neighbours.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...splay.php?f=30

I do not use GS. I find VSampler reasonable good to read older soundfonts.

There are plenty of free soundfont players out there that run as VSTi's, why not just use one of them.

Also, do you have full Kontakt? If so, email me the file and I'll look at it in Kontakt and see about turning it into a useable Kontakt instrument for you. The conversion in Kontakt is very, very easy. Try that if you haven't yet.

The GPO bass drum can be quite a monster using a moderate amount of compression.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Hi Jamie - You're right, with a little comp, you can bring up the fundamentals, but in doing so, you lose the impact transient. When Stravinsky wrote sfffz for Gran Cassa in Le Sacre, I think he really meant it. Thanks for the thought though.

Joseph - I don't own full Kontakt yet, so I'll have to investigate the VSTi's. Thanks

Stevemitchell

Steve,

You might start here with SFZ, which is a free and well-respected VSTi that renders soundfonts excellently.
    Bill

Re: A Question for the Experienced here........

Hey Bill - SFZ - This little guy looks promising. Thanks

Stevemitchell

BTW, I just noticed what the subject said, or looked like it said, and it should have read:

Re: A Question for the Experienced here........

Yep billp, that's exactly the one I was thinking of. I recommend it for soundfont VSTi playing.

As someone who has played in a few orchestra and a ton of symphonic band concerts in college where we had a brand new, incredible, concert bass drum and a tam-tam or two, I can honestly say that the ones in GPO are very realistic. If they are not loud enough the volume can be adjusted in the Kontakt player. I'm just not seeing how they could be more realistic.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Hey Bill - My custom Soundfont (Sf2) is about 143 megabytes. Do you think SFZ will have a problem with it?

Stevemitchell

Go Back to forum