• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Enough horsepower?

Share/Bookmark

Enough horsepower?

Hi,

I'm not sure which of the Garritan areas to post this question, so I will try here first. At present I have an iMac G4, 700 (or so) mhz, and not much memory - I realize that this won't cut it for any of the libraries. I may (hope) to be moving up to a G5 1.8 Ghz, and would load it with at least 1gig of Ram (could do 2). Would this new configuration be accepatable? I would be using Garritan with Sibelius.
    G5 CPU 1.8 ghz
    1 or 2 gigs Ram
    Sibelius

Good enough, or too limiting?

Thanks in advance.

R. P.

Re: Enough horsepower?

Hi,
    I can tell you that having upgraded my ram from 1 to 2 gigs has made a world of difference. I'm at 2.80 speed right now upped from 2.66 and just that little bit made my PC fly! I realize you're talking Mac here but hopefully this may give you a better idea. Also, sound card is important as well. Having one of those dreaded SoundBlaster will grant you some headaches. Then again, as I said before, you're talking Mac.
    Upgrade as powerful as you can is my advice.
    Hope this helps.
    Styxx

Mac G4 MDD 1.25G dual 2G ram -- works fine with GPO and up to 50 instruments loaded. A G5 would do even better.

The dual processor 1.8 G5 is a much better buy for the money. Especially since it will run different apps on different processors as far as I know. That way the sequencer won't take away from GPO.

I have the G5 dual 1.8 ghz and it runs GPO pretty well. I can load a full orchestra and only run into very minor crackles of a large orchestra in a full, loud tutti section with percussion and full polyphony settings. If you really can't swing the extra moola for the dual, the single should suffice, but I highly recommend the dual. It rocks.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    The dual processor 1.8 G5 is a much better buy for the money. Especially since it will run different apps on different processors as far as I know. That way the sequencer won't take away from GPO.

I have the G5 dual 1.8 ghz and it runs GPO pretty well. I can load a full orchestra and only run into very minor crackles of a large orchestra in a full, loud tutti section with percussion and full polyphony settings. If you really can't swing the extra moola for the dual, the single should suffice, but I highly recommend the dual. It rocks.

Thanks for the replies. I may have to rethink my strategy towards a dual G5. I know that will give me plenty of power - I was hoping that just a single G5 with 2G of memory would suffice...But, if the consensus is dual (you guys don't work for Apple do you?), then that may be the way to go.

I appreciate the help!

R. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Hi,
    I can tell you that having upgraded my ram from 1 to 2 gigs has made a world of difference. I'm at 2.80 speed right now upped from 2.66 and just that little bit made my PC fly! I realize you're talking Mac here but hopefully this may give you a better idea. Also, sound card is important as well. Having one of those dreaded SoundBlaster will grant you some headaches. Then again, as I said before, you're talking Mac.
    Upgrade as powerful as you can is my advice.
    Hope this helps.
    Hi rpearl, also for me upgrading the ram has made the difference.
    Now I can hear GPO in its real power!!!
    Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by beach
    Hi rpearl, also for me upgrading the ram has made the difference.
    Now I can hear GPO in its real power!!!
    Roberto
    Roberto,

What kind of processor do you use (if it's Mac )?

Thanks.

R. P.

The PowerMac G5 1.8 performance is close to the Imac G5 1.8 with more expanability. They both have a 600 mhz front side buss while the PowerMac G5 DP 1.8 has a 900 mhz front side buss. If you look at Apple's test comparisons and others the PowerMac DP 1.8 has close to double the power of the single 1.8. The iMac G5 1.8 with it's built in display and form factor is a good buy but the PowerMac G5 1.8 only saves you $500 for half the horse power.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    The PowerMac G5 1.8 performance is close to the Imac G5 1.8 with more expanability. They both have a 600 mhz front side buss while the PowerMac G5 DP 1.8 has a 900 mhz front side buss. If you look at Apple's test comparisons and others the PowerMac DP 1.8 has close to double the power of the single 1.8. The iMac G5 1.8 with it's built in display and form factor is a good buy but the PowerMac G5 1.8 only saves you $500 for half the horse power.

True, the difference is only $500 - but you have to add a monitor (the iMac G5 is an all-in-one package), so it iends being considerably more. I may do it, but as I said, I was hoping the single G5 could handle it. Probably better to spend more now, and have the upgrading capabilities...

Thanks.

R.P.

That is exactly what I was thinking in getting the dp G5. Go to http://www.powermax.com/ I got a used 17" Apple CRT (not flat) for only $99. And if you have an old monitor lying around and the right adapters you can plug two monitors into the G5. Really nice for working on scores.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum