• Register
  • Help

Topic: so, do you look funny when you use GPO?

Share/Bookmark

so, do you look funny when you use GPO?

I do. I was on the phone the other evening with another forum member, and we were discussing Digital Performer and GPO. I was describing how to use cc#64 for wind instruments, and the polyphony settings in GPO. I was telling him what I do when I make my own arrangements.

An important element of realism in a midi production, is to never drift from what is possible on the real instruments. I know, I know, there are no laws about this, but I told him that I play the notes into dp for the clarinet, then I have to decide where the player is going to pause in order to breath. I take a deep breath and then I start the clarinet line. I blow out air sometimes with my finger partially muting my lips to simulate the back pressure that I think a clarinet would have. When I am just about out of air, I stop dp and find the closest available spot where I can make sure that there is a gap big enough for the player to come up for some air.

So do you look funny when you use GPO, I do, and I bet your music will sound better if you look goofy while you make it. You should see me gasping for air when I play those pipe organ bass pedals, geez those things take a lot of breath! of course, that's something I'm not usually short of

dpDan

Re: so, do you look funny when you use GPO?

Whahah that's great! I find my self playing the bowing for violin like i have a violin and other string instruments, and sometimes I try and play the wind instruments but never blowing , like i am playing through my mouth LOL heehee. I just feel it and hear the music in my head. Still though in Sibelius I really pretend I am playing all the instruments HA!
    I wonder what I look like, probably pretty hilarious! GPO and the Imaginary Orchestra.
    back to jazz.

I usually play the "air verson" of my instrument if I'm writing a line for an instrument I play. So you'll see me bowing, plinking (keyboards) fingering and blowing, sliding (trombone), and when it's all done I even get out my good old trusty baton and conduct my virtual orchestra.
    Then I start yelling at a virtual bassoonist for not playing connected enough and I realize that I forgot the sustain petal.

So that's my goofy GPOing. My mom always has to rub it in and tell all her friends.

Chris

Thanks for sharing your funny GPO stories.
    Mom's certainly are wonderful!

dpDan

I always look funny....even if I am not currently working on the pc & pianokeys.

But I catch myself out conducting to my music while monitoring it. Also pretty sick I think...

Yes ...
    Styxx

I just look tired all the time - must sleep - must get away from computer!

my wife thought there was something seriously wrong with me when i emulated the chanter of the uillean pipes with a piece of broom handle. i tried to explain i was trying to ffind the notes that would be "popped".
    but the medication she has me on now hasn't too many side e
    f
    f
    e
    ct
    ssss

mick ˇ c

ha ha ha ha

Go Back to forum