• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone using a USB MIDI interface?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone using a USB MIDI interface?

I am steadily trying to get THE BEST timing resolution when sequencing with an external hardware sequencer. On my system I get absolutely rock solid timing when triggering Gigasampler with the Endless Wave. When I trigger with my Yamaha RM1X hardware sequencer, the timing is pretty solid, but just doesn\'t hit exactly where I need it. I\'ve tried 2 different MIDI interfaces. Serial MIDIMAN , and ISA WINMAN. The serial port gives the best performance of the two. I\'ve been told that the USB interface is the most stable method to use on the PC. Has anyone had any experience using a USB interface with GIGA and been able to compare to other types of interfaces? All info/advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Re: Anyone using a USB MIDI interface?

Good Question!!!

I would also like to know what the performance is for an USB vs. parallel midi I/F. ALSO, I would like to know if anyone has attempted to use two or more of those Midiman Midisport USB devices at once. For example, having two Midisport 4x4 USB (to give 8 in/8out. If so, are both devices sync\'d up pretty well, or am I better off just looking for a one-unit 8x8 device?

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>When I trigger with my Yamaha RM1X hardware sequencer, the timing is pretty solid, but just doesn\'t hit exactly where I need it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the \"resolution\" of the time base of the yamaha? 96 I\'d guess?
    Cakewalk runs at 480? Is it possible that you\'re just noticing that the yamaha doesn\'t have the resolution that you need to get the notes exactly where you want them?
    I had that problem when using a Roland MC -500 and it disappeared when I moved into Cakewalk.

I\'ve heard that USB is faster and more accurate than Paralell but I\'ve yet to see it first hand, not having a USB interface.
    I wish MOTU would write the drivers for windows. [ it\'s only been about a year wait so far ]
    Steve

[This message has been edited by nous (edited 08-03-2000).]

I tried the MIDISport USB interface and had tons of pops and clicks. The USB interface was on it\'s own interrupt. I contacted Midiman and they told me that they were having problems with the USB interface on PC\'s. I pulled out my old parallel interface and it has been working fine.

I believe that at some stage Nemesys recommended against using USB because of higher latency than the alternatives. I don\'t think using an ISA bus is a good idea if you can avoid it.

At this stage I\'m looking at the Unitor II because it also does smpte.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haydn:
    I tried the MIDISport USB interface and had tons of pops and clicks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here\'s an article I found a bit \"scarey\"
    as I almost bout a USB interface.
    It seems to imply that USB is going to make problems with any audio on the PC.
    http://www.rme-audio.de/english/techinfo/lola/usbkills.htm

Go Back to forum