• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mod Wheel and Pitch Bend on Same Lever !!

Share/Bookmark

Mod Wheel and Pitch Bend on Same Lever !!

I am kinda new to all of this .

I am thinking I can deactivate the pitch bend ? My hand does not seem to be steady enough to use the mod for volume with out moving slightly to the left or right . I have not read enough as I just installed - do you need pitch bend when playing GPO ? I have never used this type of software before .

I have an Edirol PCR 80 . I just scored a laptop and was going to buy this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/700718/ since it is on sale for cheap and it would cover the audio interface and MIDI keyboard for my portable setup .

I would like opinions on whether I should look for another board where the mod wheel and pitch bend are seperated .

Thanks ,
    Anthony

Re: Mod Wheel and Pitch Bend on Same Lever !!

Can't I just assign the volume to one of the knobs instead of mod wheel ?

Should be able to like regular MIDI , no ?

I guess I should be up in the studio trying this out instead of asking simple questions on the net PC .

(The Mrs. has been away and I have fallen apart to the point I even had breakfast delivered today . You must excuse me)

Wink Re: Mod Wheel and Pitch Bend on Same Lever !!

You may want to look into the new PCR-M80 that should be out sometime in april.
    Just a suggestion.
    Styxx

I am not in the market for another full size and when I do get one it will have two wheels !!! The new M line is getting nice reviews though .

I have a Roland and Edirol and I drink to much caffeine for the all in one knob work well !!

The reason I am looking at the little one is that it is mobile and has the interface . The same keyboard at Sweetwater is $150 more and it is the first time they refused to price match . It seems like a good deal !

Thumbs up Re: Mod Wheel and Pitch Bend on Same Lever !!

I don't blame you on the single control for pitch and mod. Sorry, I thought the new M line had two wheels. Have to check it again and by the way, the M80 is I believe only 61 keys.
    As for Sweetwater, that's unusual but hey, go for the other which indeed sounds like a great deal.

You are correct - 61 keys but that is plenty for my purposes for the time being .

On my Roland XP-80 I assigned one of the control sliders to Modulation because the Mod on the XP is also with the pitch bend... and even worse it's spring loaded so it has to have a hand on it constantly. I can't remember what the controller for the Mod wheel is, but the keyboard should have a way to set that to a slider. I am not the expert on those full size controllers because I am a piano guy, so I went ahead and bought the real thing. It doesn't have MIDI, but the touch of the real thing can't be beat.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Wink Re: Mod Wheel and Pitch Bend on Same Lever !!

Yeah, you are right after checking it again. It's one control joystick type and most likely it's spring-loaded. Something I am not too fond of but it is assignable to a slider. I found one for $299 under educational distributors. Same with the M-Audio 88 pro was quite a savings using educators / teachers discount. I believe the 88 pro was listed at 399. However, I tried the M-Audio keystation Pro 88 and didn't like the feel of the keys.
    Good luck to you!

Ahh , good info . Yeah , both the Roland and the Edirol have the spring loaded wheel . I thought it was normal to keep a hand on it after watching the Stradivari demo but after watching it again I realise he is not controlling volume in that video . I'm a noob .

I will try assigning to both a knob and a slider and see what I like the most .

Thanks !!

I guess I will go order that little keyboard now and I can justify it by telling myself if I work at home using a slider I should do the same while mobile !!

Go Back to forum