• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Topic: If I had to choose just one library of this bunch...

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    If I had to choose just one library of this bunch...

    I've landed a gig, and told myself I'd keep myself up to date by purchasing one new library. I'll probably get something that will help on the project of course (military, Bill Brown style stuff). I'm considering:

    * Stormdrum
    * True Strike
    * SAM Trumpets (can you believe I still don't own this?)
    * Stylus RMX
    * MAYBE Opus 1

    The reason I say Opus 1 is because I might need some sharp string staccatos. And I know Kirk Hunter has those.. and that's what, $500? $600? I can grab Opus 1 for $830. So I figure, might as well spring for that and get the full orch in full legato, and Opus 1 has pretty crisp, sharp string staccatos, correct?

    SAM Trumpets is pretty affordable, I could probably grab that in addition to Stylus RMX, True Strike, or Stormdrum.

    Any recommendations are welcome. Something appropriate for a dark military sound... a la Tom Clancy games, things like that. Thanks in advance!
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

  2. #2

    Re: If I had to choose just one library of this bunch...

    As for the staccatos, I'd definitely go VSL. They are very tight and sound natural to me, realistic, so to speak.

    I don't own Stormdrums (unfortunately), but Stylus RMX doesn't seem to be a good choice for military stuff. As great and perfect as the sound is, it seems a bit "off topic" to me (better for electronic, techno, indstrial stuff).

    SAM trumpets are nice, but not as good as the other Brass libs. It's certainly not their lack of professionalism, but it must be simply terribly difficult to sample a trumpet. If you can avoid it, better go Truestrike I'd say (which I don't own, btw).

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Budleigh Salterton
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: If I had to choose just one library of this bunch...

    Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    I've landed a gig, and told myself I'd keep myself up to date by purchasing one new library. I'll probably get something that will help on the project of course (military, Bill Brown style stuff). I'm considering:

    * Stormdrum
    * True Strike
    * SAM Trumpets (can you believe I still don't own this?)
    * Stylus RMX
    * MAYBE Opus 1

    The reason I say Opus 1 is because I might need some sharp string staccatos. And I know Kirk Hunter has those.. and that's what, $500? $600? I can grab Opus 1 for $830. So I figure, might as well spring for that and get the full orch in full legato, and Opus 1 has pretty crisp, sharp string staccatos, correct?

    SAM Trumpets is pretty affordable, I could probably grab that in addition to Stylus RMX, True Strike, or Stormdrum.

    Any recommendations are welcome. Something appropriate for a dark military sound... a la Tom Clancy games, things like that. Thanks in advance!

    Congrats on your gig. All the ones mentioned sound good, that's the trouble, although obviously only Opus 1 has string staccs - there is a good demo of that attacking string style on the VSL User demo section by Anton called Paranoids (Main Title) which uses Opus 1 exclusively I think - you've probably heard it.
    http://vsl.co.at/english/demos/User_...2D_Opus_1.htm#


    For that military brass sound - if indeed horns are what you are thinking, you may as well take a look at VSL's Epic Horns (Horizon series), assuming you don't already have them. You would never stop using them

    Storm Drum sounds very good to me. So do all the others. Money money money! That's the trouble.

  4. #4

    Re: If I had to choose just one library of this bunch...

    There's a positive endorsement by Bill Brown on 'True Strike' at the Project SAM website. Maybe that helps narrow things down a bit

    Do you already have snares? From memory I don't think Stormdrum has snares, although there may be the odd snare hit in the 'Big Hits' section or something. The loops could be very good for what you are doing though, and it would work great as a compliment to 'True Strike' or the EWQLSO percussion.

    Stylus RMX you could probably bend to what you want (because it's so flexible), but 'dark militaristic' isn't the first thing that springs to mind when I think of it. I'm sure you could coax something out of it with some experimenting though.

    I'd probably pick them in the above order for what you are after (I don't have True Strike btw, I'm going on demos and comments by other users here).

    Steve

  5. #5

    Re: If I had to choose just one library of this bunch...

    Hi Sam,

    I'm going to answer your question with another question. What libs do you currently have? Perhaps that may help us provide suggestions. FWIW, I would rule out Stylus RMX at this time. It won't help you as much as the others. For that kind of style, I would think that True Strike and Opus 1 will help you the most. Re: SAM Trumpets, Are your current trumpets lacking? Stormdrum is awesome and an excellent library. If you have a good selection of percussion already, it may be a good choice but if you need better percussion (than you already own in order to suit this style) you may want to go look at TrueStrike first.

    HTH,
    FV

  6. #6

    Thumbs up Re: If I had to choose just one library of this bunch...

    Quote Originally Posted by Markus S
    SAM trumpets are nice, but not as good as the other Brass libs. It's certainly not their lack of professionalism, but it must be simply terribly difficult to sample a trumpet.
    I highly disagree. SAM probably has the best trumpet sound out there and I highly recommend it. Definitely a great library to buy.

  7. #7

    Re: If I had to choose just one library of this bunch...

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    I highly disagree. SAM probably has the best trumpet sound out there and I highly recommend it. Definitely a great library to buy.
    Erm... Just so there is no misunderstanding: I'm am not saying that you can find a better trumpet sound somewhere or that you can't (I only use SAM, so I can't compare), but I (personally) don't find them as convincing as the other Brasslibs by SAM (horns, bones). What I was saying is : if you can *avoid* to use trumpets at all, better avoid it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    380

    Re: If I had to choose just one library of this bunch...

    VSL, no doubt about it. You correctly surmised you will have perf's legato instruments throughout the orchestral range. Something you couldn't get with several other libraries at the cost of many thousands of dollars. The realism is stunning with most of the instruments.

    It will enhance your library far more than any of your other choices.

    Dave Connor

  9. #9

    Re: If I had to choose just one library of this bunch...

    What orchestral liberary do you have now?

  10. #10

    Re: If I had to choose just one library of this bunch...

    To answer those who asked about my current line-up of samples:

    GOS
    True Strike (demo)
    LOP
    Westgate Woodwinds
    SAM Horns & Trombones
    Bardstown Boesendorfer Imperial Grand
    QLRI

    And a few other things here and there.

    OK, so Stylus RMX is ruled out. Opus 1 would be killer to have... but I'm trying to not spend too much. Of course, I could write it off my taxes, which is nice. At this point I'm leaning towards getting SAM Trumpets + Stormdrum.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •