• Register
  • Help

Topic: World War II Movietone style newsreel music...

Share/Bookmark

World War II Movietone style newsreel music...

Hi guys:

I know this is perhaps a little off-topic, and I was going to write some music myself with Gold then process it to sound like old 1940s scratchy newsreel music, but for this project (for the Veteran's Association) I simply haven't got time since I'm also doing sound design, editing, voice overs and SFX. Since there are a lot of folks working in TV and film here I figure it's a good place to ask.

The project calls for that 1940s newsreel orchestral music that was used a lot in propaganda films and newsreels and so on - I'm sure most of you know the kind of music I mean. I think the BBC Symphony Orchestra did a lot of that stuff. I'm looking for royalty free stock music, basically - I have the budget to buy the music, but all my searches come up with lots of stock *film* footage providers and I can't seem to find anywhere to buy just the *music* from those reels. Any pointers?

Thanks very much - any help is very much appreciated.

Steve

Re: World War II Movietone style newsreel music...

Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    I'm afraid that none of the music will be royalty free as it is all still in copyright. However, it is possible to licence it...

Daryl

There's also APM (Associated Production Music), Killer Tracks, and Megatracks (or Megatrax?). Google "production music" and you'll get a bunch.

I would phone them rather than try to search their websites, which are often cumbersome. Many of these companies will send you custom CDs of what you're looking for.

I doubt royalties apply in your situation, although you will have to pay the license fee.

- Mike Greene

Here's a link to a Newsreel Fanfare:

http://www.royalty-free.tv/search_ph...Mood=Patriotic

Look down in the list for newsreal fanfare.

a google search for royalty free newsreel music will bring up several companies that may have exactly what you need if you contact them directly.

Hey Steve check your PMs. I've got info there for you!
    I think a favorite gag in medival times was to sneak up behind a Knight and stick a "kick me" sign on his armor with a magnet.

Thank you for all the suggestions guys. I know that royalties won't even be an issue here, but clients can be picky about these things nonetheless. I think my problem has been not knowing what to enter as a search string in Google for the most part.

Hey Steve,

Not sure exactly what you need, but I would be doing searches for "March, military, Sousa"

I was a drummer for the Marine Band and we used to play all of that music you hear in the newsreels. A lot of times, those real fanfare sounding ones were known as "circus marches".

Hope that helps a little.

- Josh

Go Back to forum