• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Exact format / usage

Share/Bookmark

Exact format / usage

Just to be sure.. the full Garritan Orchestral Strings is in GIGA format, correct?

Also, if so, do I have to use it in GS2.5/GS3 in order to get the benefits of stuff like Maestro Tools, or can I use it in another sampler like Kontakt?

Re: Exact format / usage

As far as I know GOS is only available in Giga 2.5 format.

I use GOS with Halion and Cubase. The Maestro Tools program works just fine with Halion, so I would imagine it would work equally well with Kontakt.

There's some threads here in how to use Maestro Tools with Halion and Kontakt - I couldn't find them though (although I didn't look very hard!). I can explain it to you if you use Cubase SX.
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    http://www.markderrico.com

I just recently installed GOS onto my sample PC with the newly loaded GS3 Orchestra, and everything is as smooth as glass.

dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    I just recently installed GOS onto my sample PC with the newly loaded GS3 Orchestra, and everything is as smooth as glass.

dpDan
    Ditto- no problems with GS3.

Well, I figured it would work for the platform it was designed for

However, I have no intention of getting either GS2.5 or GS3 as I've heard almost nothing but bad things about it, and I have Kontakt anyway. That's why I was wondering how compatible GOS and its accessory programs/tools are. If MT does in fact work with Halion, then chances are it will work with Kontakt too, I suppose.. but it never hurts to be sure.

On a side note, I talked to a Sweetwater rep who said that everything but the keyswitches should work. He said that keyswitches were proprietary to Gigastudio, which was a little confusing - it is very easy to create a keyswitch in Kontakt, and I know for a fact libraries like GPO and QLSO use it. Perhaps he meant the sampled changes between different keys?

On a side note, I talked to a Sweetwater rep who said that everything but the keyswitches should work. He said that keyswitches were proprietary to Gigastudio, which was a little confusing - it is very easy to create a keyswitch in Kontakt, and I know for a fact libraries like GPO and QLSO use it. Perhaps he meant the sampled changes between different keys?
    I disagree with that. I've got both Kontakt and Halion and I've got libraries for both samplers that use keyswitches. The keyswitch patches for both samplers work just fine.

And that's my 2 cents! lol!
    Mark

Great!

Anyway, I'm trying to understand exactly how Maestro Tools works (perhaps I should just call Gary and ask, but I figured I'd ask here first). Does it work with Kontakt/Halion if the samplers are loaded as plugins into a sequencer like FLStudio, or must they run in standalone mode (as GS would)?

I use GOS in Halion with Cubase SX2. Halion is a VST plug-in only.

With GOS, you get the Maestro Tool and the Maple MIDI program. The Maple MIDI tool is pretty much the same as Hubi's MIDI loop program (or whatever it's actually called! lol)

To use Maestro tools with a plugin sampler, you need two MIDI tracks in your DAW. The first track contains the MIDI note data. It's fed to the Maple Tools MIDI program. This then goes to the Maestro Tool.

The MIDI output of the Maestro Tool goes back to the Maple Tools MIDI program then into the second MIDI track in your DAW.

It's really straight-forward actually.
    Mark

I am using it with Giga 3, no problems. I have also loaded it into Mach 5. All works great except for the key switches. Maybe this will be addressed in Mach5 version 2?

Peace

Rik

Well, I would HOPE it works in GS3, as that's what it was programmed for.

Now that Kontakt 2 has GS3 import though.. might be interesting.

Go Back to forum