• Register
  • Help

Topic: TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES -- Contest question...

Share/Bookmark

TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES -- Contest question...

I'm not really that interested in trying out for it... but.

I just had this question (knowing that some of you guys here have won)

They say you win 10 grand... and that you "also" get to score this silent film. So the question is this "Do they ALSO pay you to score the film?" Or do you just "win" this 10 grand then do the film for "free". Know what I mean?

is that the case or is there something I'm misunderstanding?

Either way , i'm not trying to imply that it's not beneficial to various people. It just struck me as odd that they'd mention the 10 grand and the scoring of the film as two separate things? Am i crazy?

KID

Re: TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES -- Contest question...

Hehe....I have long felt that this was one of the biggest scams in the biz!

Don't get me wrong, it's great exposure and experience for new talent....but if you really think about it....if TCM hired a real professional for the job it would cost them a heck of a lot more than $10k.

This contest is really great for the fresh out of college crowd. For any working composer, winning might actually not be all that it's cracked out to be. (plus I'm pretty sure that TCM owns all the rights and I'm sure 100% of the publishing...and maybe even a chunk of the composer's share).
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf
    Or do you just "win" this 10 grand then do the film for "free". Know what I mean?

KID
    hey kid-surf

That is correct, the $10k is sort of a combined prize/composers fee. You're right too, midphase, that it's really about exposure - keep in mind that the final product (which has been broadcast in my case twice now) features your music front and center (no dialogue, no SFX) from beginning to end so it's a televised compositional showpiece.

Michael
    michael@zerostudios.com
    www.zerostudios.com

Michael,

I am kinda curious, but have you received work as a direct result of being involved in the contest? I was wondering if there has been a direct correlation ,and I'm not necessarily talking about having it as a centerpiece on your resume or promo material, I'm talking about someone calling you because they saw your work on the film and want to hire you on their next project.

Just curious how this contest is affecting people's careers.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Right now there's a cheese competition in Wisconsin. According to one guy, his business quadrupled the year that he won the title of "King Cheese". (Heard it on NPR.)

He didn't have to compose any music for the event or sign away his copyrights, but the exposure sure helped.

Hopefully the TCM winner gets as much or more success as "King Cheese".

-JF

Kays...

Michael -- Congrats! (sincerely). But I too am curious what the benefit was? I guess I see it as being about exposure first, an the prize second... did you make worthwhile connections from doing it?

I don't know what the demographic is for these films so I have no clue what they should be paying? But it seems to me that they may be getting a reduced rate. Maybe I'm just skeptical?

anyway... I doubt it can hurt your career, so....

KID

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    I am kinda curious, but have you received work as a direct result of being involved in the contest? I was wondering if there has been a direct correlation ,and I'm not necessarily talking about having it as a centerpiece on your resume or promo material, I'm talking about someone calling you because they saw your work on the film and want to hire you on their next project.

Just curious how this contest is affecting people's careers.
    I was wondering exactly the same thing... hopefully we'll get an answer...
    Martin Lachance, Composer
    www.martinlachance.com

Go Back to forum