• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trumpet Concertos.

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Trumpet Concertos.

Hey, I heard a trumpet concerto while peddling to woik this marnin. Man, it was sweet (sorry, didn't have time to find out info) and I have to say, with an excellent player the trumpet is one sweet sounding instrument!
    It just hit me the right way (which is more than I can say about that school bus!)
    Styxx

Re: Trumpet Concertos.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Hey, I heard a trumpet concerto while peddling to woik this marnin. Man, it was sweet (sorry, didn't have time to find out info) and I have to say, with an excellent player the trumpet is one sweet sounding instrument!
    It just hit me the right way (which is more than I can say about that school bus!)
    Hey, me too! Maybe the station in Beefalo was playing the same programming as ours in Boston? And the soloist was Wynton Marsalis. Fantastic, versatile trumpet player -- classical AND jazz.

Jim

Thumbs up Re: Trumpet Concertos.

Wynton Marsalis ... that explains it all. It was on PBS so it may have been the same piece.
    Styxx

Did you know that as a performer, Wynton gave up classical for jazz. while he is firm that every student must learn classical to play jazz, he also believes that to truly excel, one must eventually specialize in one or the other.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    Did you know that as a performer, Wynton gave up classical for jazz. while he is firm that every student must learn classical to play jazz, he also believes that to truly excel, one must eventually specialize in one or the other.
    I think I could agree with him on that. You need the classical training to develop the chops, but playing jazz trumpet is completely different from the approach one takes with classical pieces, the feel is different, tongueing changes from ta-ka-ta-ka to duh-guh-duh-guh, lots of other differences. Man, I wish my lip was in shape...love the trumpet, been too long.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mistahamma
    Hey, me too! Maybe the station in Beefalo was playing the same programming as ours in Boston? And the soloist was Wynton Marsalis. Fantastic, versatile trumpet player -- classical AND jazz.

Jim
    My guess would be that it was the Hummel conerto, which he does so magnificently. I was lucky enough to hear him play it in San Francisco a few (20?) years ago. It is one of the most memorable performaces in my experience.

Richard

. . . or possibly the Haydn which he performs very well also. I prefer the Hummel though, especially the mordents and trills in Mvmt. III. Spent many hours repeating those measures over and over and over and over and over and . . . well. . . . you get the point.

Wynton really is a fine well-rounded player, but sometimes his tone can become a bit airy on his classical music (on B-flat and C trumpet). Of course that airy tone works wonderfully in his jazz work.

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Quote Originally Posted by brasspig
    . . . or possibly the Haydn which he performs very well also. I prefer the Hummel though, especially the mordents and trills in Mvmt. III. Spent many hours repeating those measures over and over and over and over and over and . . . well. . . . you get the point.

Wynton really is a fine well-rounded player, but sometimes his tone can become a bit airy on his classical music (on B-flat and C trumpet). Of course that airy tone works wonderfully in his jazz work.

Brasspig
    No, it was neither of these -- something a more obscure. I would have recognized them right off the bat. Like his recording of the Haydn, especially the second movement, the slow 3/4 part. Always loved that one, played it for NYSSMA competition many moons ago. Never played the Hummel, I chose a more unusual, modern Hindemith piece instead.

Jim

Hindemith is ALWAYS a good choice.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Simply, Wynton rocks whatever he does!

Go Back to forum