• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What was your "worse" college experience?

Share/Bookmark

Question What was your "worse" college experience?

Yeah yeah I know. Another one of Styxx unimportant silly not serious but otherwise stimulating you to participate questions.

So, here is mine (or was mine).
    Second year in college with no job and no support. No gigs and certainly prostitution was out of the question. Anywho,to make a pancake into a waffle not to make a mountain out of a mole hill, and certainly make a short story long. It was a nice cold late afternoon on the campus of the University at Beeffalo. I had just finished a lengthy practice on a timpani solo and said to myself, SELF I said, we should go home now. But as I got into my car and started it up the fuel gage didn't budge from E (empty). Hey I said! How in the world am I going to get home I don't have any money! Then I remembered, in the practice rooms there were literally hundreds of soda pop cans lining the walls. Some of the richer students had this thing going where they would see who could line the wall of a practice room completely before noticed. Well, there were as counted, three hundred cans total. I found a plastic trash bag and collected 200 of them. I figured, $5 for gas and $5 for something to eat. Man was I hungry that day....
    The next day those students were furious and wondering who could have done such a thing as "steal" their precious pop cans.
    Hey, a man has to do what a man has to do!
    Now, there's two sides to every argument ... I just didn't have time to listen to theirs.
    So, what is your worse experience and it doesn't have to do with academia.

By the way here's another question fur ya. What's a Bulimic doing teaching a food class?
    Styxx

Re: What was your "worse" college experience?

Women.

The rest was good, which is why after a 10 year hiatis it is time to go get my Masters degree.

Of course my memory of events, especially the weekend ones, is a little hazy.

BTW... composers should work towards teaching at the University level. Then you will always have access to performers. Especially at the bigger Universities. All of the master composers of the day (the guys in the history books) are doing this. .....random advise over.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

eye spy 20 ...
    Styxx

College was great for me. As bad as it got was being drunk, going up on stage to sing a song, and forgetting the words. I survived.

But here was a low point for a friend of mine...

It was freshman year in the dorms. Eric was this big guy, carved from a block of muscle. One evening after dinner he was reading and fell asleep on his bed.

For whatever reason, the fire alarm would go off every week or two, we'd have to leave the building and wait for the fire department to arrive. And as Eric slept, it happened yet again.

Eric got out of bed and walked down the middle of the hall with a blank stare on his face. One of the guys on the hall was leaving the building, but Eric was marching straight towards him. The guy backed up to where the hall made a turn. Eric looked right through him, turned the corner and kept walking.

Just as Eric reached the outer door, he stopped, turned, grabbed the fire alarm box and ripped it out of the wall. The entire alarm system went silent. Eric walked back to his bed and fell asleep.

We followed him back to ask him what he was thinking. When he woke up, he had no recollection of it. He had been sleepwalking.

The administration does not look upon destruction of school property kindly. Eric was looking a automatic expulsion. Fortunately, enough of us were witness to the sleepwalking event, and he was able to stay in school. He had to pay for the repairs though.

Be careful what you do - even when asleep!

-JF

Thumbs up Re: What was your "worse" college experience?

That's a cool story. Thanks for sharing.
    Styxx

Smile Re: What was your "worse" college experience?

Her name was Angel, but she was anything but....

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

lectures.
    Grim Fandango explained jazz to me.

My best experience was no college!

My worst college experience was learning COBOL.

Ugh... Yecch!

Second to that was the Wicked Witch of the West teaching Accounting1.

Ugh... Yecch!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Uhmm - I haven't finished it yet - I'll tell you after I get my phd.

ha ha

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum