• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Trailer 'HITS'

Share/Bookmark

Trailer 'HITS'

Hi every one.

I'd be very grateful for some expert advice from anyone experienced in composing and/or producing scores for film trailers.

I've noticed that many trailers use the same 'multi-toms/orch bds' hit fx (lots of sub bass, usually 4x the level of the music track!). Are these hits included by the composer as part of the music score/mix, or are they added in post production?

If part of the music score, does anyone know what this sound/sample is, and where can I get it in a 'playable' format, ideally EXS24?

Many thanks for any ideas.

Derek Austin

Re: Trailer 'HITS'

They probably have their own sounds.

But if you want to find something similar try StormDrum

I don't think so, this hit sound is identical on many different trailers. Go to Pocketmovies.com, and see what I mean, but thanks for the tip re Storm Drum.

Derek

Sorry, PocketMovies.net - my mistake...

Derek

Jeff Rona's Liquid Cinema has some cool sounds for trailers...

www.m-audio.com

Im afraid you are going to have to be more spesific. Which trailer and a time to reference point please

Ed

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

They're just various big bangy boomies. You can make them out of all kinds of stuff. I have a Korean Buk that I wail on with a wooden stick--pitch it down a couple of octaves and it's a big bangy boomy.

Layer up some explosions from SFX libraries and EQ out some of the highs and mids. Insta big bangy boomies.

You can make big bangy boomies out of almost anything. No need to throw down for sample libraries to make big bangy boomies. A cardboard box can be a big bangy boomy. A sheetrock wall banged with your fist into a large diaphragm condenser can be a big bangy boomy. Take your car to a parking garage with a portable DAT deck, and slam the doors a few times. Big bangy boomy. Big Bangy Boomy.

You can make big bangy boomies with your mouth, like the bomb sounds you made when you were playing army men at age seven. Well, unless you were being yanked off by Michael Jackson, in which case, you have your own big bangy boomies to resolve.

Why do I feel as if an entire generation of musicians has no clue how to produce anything any more? I guess it's decent job security for the old timers. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    a big bangy boomy.

---------

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Glad you were entertained. I have had two Sidecars, which is an excellent old-fashioned, bona fide Hollywood cocktail.

1.5 oz Brandy (Cognac in my case, because I believe in quality booze)
    .75 oz Cointreau (fancy-azz French surrender-monkey triple sec)
    .75 oz Juice of freshly squeezed lemon (baby squeeze my lemon, till the juice runs down my leg)

Combine in a mixing glass with ice, shake the living doggy do out of it, and strain into a cocktail glass. Rinse and repeat.

I recommend a dosage of at least three.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Glad you were entertained. I have had two Sidecars, which is an excellent old-fashioned, bona fide Hollywood cocktail.
    <snip>

Sounds good but Bruce Im kinda young, and impatient...

Ed

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast