• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Time for a Garritan Website Facelift?

Share/Bookmark

Time for a Garritan Website Facelift?

I am considering redesigning www.garritan.com. With new products, Joseph's snazzy new player, the Academy, scores of tutorials, and so many new things - it may be time for a facelift.

Do you have any ideas of ways to present a lot of material? Are there any examples of sites you really like? Innovative approaches?

I am seeking your suggestions on how to make the site more usable, easier to navigate, and a site that you would like to continue to visit.

Any input would be appreciated.

TIA,

Gary Garritan

Re: Time for a Garritan Website Facelift?

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I am considering redesigning www.garritan.com. With new products, Joseph's snazzy new player, the Academy, scores of tutorials, and so many new things - it may be time for a facelift.

Do you have any ideas of ways to present a lot of material? Are there any examples of sites you really like? Innovative approaches?

I am seeking your suggestions on how to make the site more usable, easier to navigate, and a site that you would like to continue to visit.

Any input would be appreciated.

TIA,

Gary Garritan
    Agreed that it is time to do so, but at the moment, no ideas beyond that. Perhaps when this annoying asthma flare-up subsides, a good thoght or two might appear. No real problems, as long as I don't try to breathe. Perhaps you try to get too much on the first page?

Richard

Gary - you should seriously consider some of the "content portal" sites that are widely available now. There are several that are offered by my service provider (Lunarpages) and are PHP based with a MySQL back end. I stay with a simple FLASH (Swish) based site, but if I had to drive a lot of content to and through my site, I'd definitely would be using that scenario.

Check these out:
    Geeklog
    phpWCMS
    phpWebSite
    Post-Nuke
    Siteframe
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Gary - you should seriously consider some of the "content portal" sites that are widely available now. There are several that are offered by my service provider (Lunarpages) and are PHP based with a MySQL back end. I stay with a simple FLASH (Swish) based site, but if I had to drive a lot of content to and through my site, I'd definitely would be using that scenario.
    I agree. I'm using one called Mambo:

http://www.mamboserver.com/

You can, of course, customize and/or create the templates to give the site a unique look, as I did for mine. These php sites make it much easier to update the site as you add more content. For example, you don't have to upload a new html document everytime you just want to edit some text, or add some new news.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Gary,

A suggestion: When you do a redesign, PLEASE put the release/publish dates beside every update, manual, addendum, tutorial, tips, etc., and SORT them by that date.

Of course, each type of item can remain in its own appropriate section (such as tutorials). But without a clear column of date released for all the material, it's confusing and time consuming to continually compare what's on the site with what we already have downloaded (such as tutorials).

As you add more and more great tutorials, files, etc., it will become even more helpful to your users.

Thanks!

David

I don't know about y'all, but it seems to me that GOS is buried in GPO. When I first discovered sampling technology, and I REALLY wanted GPO, I also considered GOS. It took me a while at first to find the link to all the information about GOS.

And, as Rwayland said, the first page is a bit much.

Other than that, your site is really user friendly and easy to use.

Reguards,
    Chris

Talking Re: Time for a Garritan Website Facelift?

Wait, I'll ask Michael Jackson for referrals.
    Styxx

Edited for space. (Between my ears...sorry)

Oh my, and here I was just thinking it needed a lift the other day...

I'd launch into an analysis, but no time at the moment! I have an arraignment at traffic court tomorrow that's had me in legal research mode for the past week! We'll see if I can actually get it dismissed then, which would free me up some more for other things...

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Gary,

Your current site is head and shoulders above at least half of the company sites I deal with on a daily basis. However, since I always have an opinion on everything , I'll chime in. I'm no web guru, so take these comments as being from a user's perspective rather than that of a Serious Web Development Professional.

First, if you still have it laying around, read George Petersen's "From the Editor" article "High Resolutions" in the front of the January 2005 Mix Magazine. Just happened to read it last night, and he makes a lot of really excellent points about manufacturer web site functionality and usability. I highly recommend all of the suggestions he made, he's right on the money with them.

Here's a couple of my own. First, a number of your main menu links (the store, the demos, maybe some others) fire up new browsers. That makes for cumbersome navigation. I'd keep it in the same one for a more seamless user experience.

Secondly (and this is straight out of Tribes), avoid cleverness that brings no tangible benefit. Programmers want to do all sorts of neat and groovy things on your site just because it's fun to do. Don't let them. Users just want to find what they're looking for.

The more splashy, fancy, animated, glitzy, etc. that you make it, the harder it is to navigate and the greater the chance that it won't work in someone's BambiZilla version 1.42 browser. Strive to make it as obvious as possible, bearing in mind that the human race struggles with even that. If you want to do breathtaking multimedia, make that a feature that people can get to via a simple and obvious UI instead of making the snazzy multimedia the UI itself.

There are some exceptions to this last statement, such as Joseph's new demo browser, but even that reinforces the point. What I like about his latest work is that yeah, it's snazzy, but if you consider the UI from a usability point of view, it's extremely obvious and drop dead simple to use. However, not every web developer you hire will have that talent, so when in doubt, leave it out!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum