• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Composer Channel: Everyone's songs are up!

Share/Bookmark

Smile Composer Channel: Everyone's songs are up!

Hey, guys.

Being the prolific little community of Happy Composer Hobbits that you are, I've finally realized that I just ain't keeping up with you! Clearly, some changes were needed, but of course it's not the first time - I'm learning as I go with this project. So, the short version of this is that everyone's songs are now on the air. For the long version, read on...

My original vision was to have everyone's songs included in our "personality" shows with Charlie and Deirdre, because they really make it special. However, we're only able to get into the studio about once a month, and that wasn't even getting us caught up on the initial songs everyone submitted, let alone the continual stream of new stuff. I've been feeling bad about taking so long to get most of you on the air, so I came up with a new plan that I think gives us the best of both worlds.

I've created a new series of shows called "The GPO Variety Hour". These shows are just music, without Charlie and Dee. When songs are submitted, they'll automatically be included in an edition of these shows. Since I don't need a recording session to finalize an edition, this means I can get the new material that comes in on the air each week, without getting backed up. So, for starters, there are 19 editions of this show, and everyone who has sent in songs are now on the air in the GPO Variety Hour. I did this for everyone, even if your songs are already included in one of Charlie and Deirdre's shows, primarly to simplify my life. (You wouldn't believe the behind the scenes data entry work it took to pull this off, even without separating the ones already in a show. )

Since there are no on air personalities for these shows, songs are listed in the order that they're played on the web page for that show edition, including the links to the composers and all their other info and songs. By the way, people have asked a number of times why you can't see the song titles in your favorite mp3 player. The answer is that with the technologies I'm using, it doesn't work the same in all players, and we're also not using a one file per song format. So, to see what songs are playing in a given edition, you'll need to look at the web page. I've added "Search for Composer" to the left menu to make it easy for you to find your shows.

What about Charlie and Deirdre, you say? They're going to continue doing shows, of course. From here on out, they'll be given more creativity with the kinds of shows that they want to do since they're no longer under pressure to catch up with a huge backlog of songs. What kinds of shows will they be doing, and which songs will they include? Beats me. I'm just the producer around here. Basically, whatever they want to do, I'll set it up for them. Now that the pressure is off of their shows, heaven only knows what these guys will come up with. So, if you love a particular show, it was their idea. If you hate it, I'm the one who makes the final decisions, so it's my fault.

Folks, I'm really sorry it's taken me so long get everyone on the air. I was hoping my initial grand vision was going to work, but hey, I'm making this up as I go along since I've never done this before. Anyway, I hope you'll find getting all music up quickly via the unhosted GPO Variety Hour a good tradeoff for the fact that not all music will be in Charlie's and Deirdre's shows. And of course, if you want to give them suggestions for shows, bribes, mimosas, small farm animals, or anything else that you think will sway them towards including you in a particular show, I say they're fair game for emails!

Anyway, we're caught up and you're all on the air now - have fun!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Unhappy Re: Composer Channel: Everyone's songs are up!

Well I submitted months ago...but nowhere to be seen on the site...

Mark

Re: Composer Channel: Everyone's songs are up!

Hi, Mark.

I sent out a few emails this past week to people who didn't have proper accounts set up (per www.ShowProgramming.com/GettingAirplay.asp), so I can't add their stuff to any shows until they do.

What's the user id you use to login the Show Programming site with?

[edit]
    I also sent an email to one person who'd sent half a dozen files, but none of them were recognizable as mp3s - if that was you, check the email for the address that I would have replied to.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

my email is mtodd8@hotmail.com, but i didnt receive any emails that I know of.

Mark

If it's not in the format of FirstnameLastname as the getting airplay page mentioned, it would explain why your songs didn't get added.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Very cool.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan

If it's not in the format of FirstnameLastname as the getting airplay page mentioned, it would explain why your songs didn't get added.

Its weird, it is in that format: MarkLeneker

Maybe I should just re-register? What do you suggest?

Mark

Thanks for all your hard work, Christopher. I was happy to see my name on your pages (and in two shows today!).

What is the procedure for new listed composers to add bio and song information? I didn't get the email instructions if they were sent out. "Composer Login" seems identical to "Forum Login."

EDIT -- Never mind. I see it now!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by matolen
    Its weird, it is in that format: MarkLeneker

Maybe I should just re-register? What do you suggest?

Mark
    Hey, Mark.

Found your account, just don't have your song files. I'm sending you an email so we can take this off line. We'll get you taken care of.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Man if I didn't write anything but longer, multi-movement works I would be so there!

Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum