• Register
  • Help

Topic: Solo Strings Legato & Up-Down

Share/Bookmark

Solo Strings Legato & Up-Down

I have been practicing on the keyboard with the solo cellos and violins in GPO.

In reading the info in the book and website, I see that the pedal works both for legato and for changing up-down strokes.

I have it set to do the legato. How do I do the Up-Down stroke changes?

Does the sustain pedal do both at the same time?

Lets say i have a phrase of nine notes. I want the first two legato with a down stroke, then I want to change to upstroke for the next two notes in a second legato, etc.

My other interest is to then add a portamento on the last two notes. How would I get this... by quickly turning up the portamento before the last two notes?....

Thank you for any explanation you can give me.

Re: Solo Strings Legato & Up-Down

Jack,

See my reply here on up and downbows: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...light=downbows

For portamento, be sure and read the update documentation. It includes quite a bit of detail on the advanced portamento cc#19 and CC#20 functions. Here's the link: http://www.garritan.com/Update/GPOUpdate.pdf

Tom

Incredible! I was just about to ask the same thing. Thanks, Tom, and thanks Jack for anticipating me.

You know... I don't think I updated everything!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Thank you! I didn't read the new documentation thoroughly enough.

Question Re: Solo Strings Legato & Up-Down

Folks, I tried my hand at recording some solo violin for the first time for an Easter piece which I did yesterday, with mixed results. I understand that I need to somehow use the portamento control in order to smooth out scale steps? I do have 3 slider controls to which I can assign controller numbers, but was wondering if I am successful at assigning the portamento control to a slider, how do you work the slider, modulation wheel, and keyboard all at the same time? Can portamento be some how assigned later, as in the MIDI data? I'm using Sonar 4 and would like to smooth out some notes that go down the scale one step at a time. Any help regarding solo violin playing is GREATLY appreciated, Thanks, Richard Dillon

Richard,

Some things are best done in real-time and some things are best done after-the-fact by drawing the controller data into your tracks. Almost all data can (and should) be tweaked after-the-fact. So:

1. Real-time recording: Notes, mod wheel, and slowly occurring sustain pedal data are all good candidates for real-time recording. Remember you can make multiple passes, recording a different kind of data with each pass - each pass set to the same MIDI channel, of course.
    2. Editing: Keyswitches, portamento, VAR1, VAR2, and rapidly occurring sustain pedal data are examples of things best drawn into your tracks in a task-specific manner after the note data is recorded. Consult with your sequencer's manual or Help files for instructions on drawing controller data into your tracks.
    3. Tweaking: All MIDI data can be adjusted to "fine tune" things. Once again, the drawing tools in your sequencer can give you the freedom to adjust to your heart's content.

Be sure to consult the Update documentation (see link in earlier post) for detailed information on the use of advanced portamento features (cc19, cc20).

Tom

Thanks so much, Tom, for your advice. Let me explain that I am rather new at this whole MIDI thing. I'm using a Roland A-80 keyboard with Sonar PE 4, Finale 2005, and GPO. I have been successful at recording some beautifully sounding piano (thanks to the marvelous Steinway piano sound included with GPO) but I'm not even sure just how to work the violin, but I did need a small section for a song I worked up for Easter Sunday, and didn't really have time to research MIDI violin technique. I used the Mod wheel, which made the violin crescendo and decrescendo nicely, but when I used the sustain pedal, the notes sounded too extended, and very un natural. When I attempted to play them in a legato style without the sustain pedal (CC64) they sounded almost right, but lacked a certain smoothness. If I were to assign one of my sliders on the A-80 to Portamento, could I some how re-record just the portamento slider data, and would that some how smooth out my notes? Or could I add a Portamento controller of some sort to the Midi data in Sonar 4 PE, using the event view? Thanks so much for your reply, and patience, Richard Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Richard,

Some things are best done in real-time and some things are best done after-the-fact by drawing the controller data into your tracks. Almost all data can (and should) be tweaked after-the-fact. So:

1. Real-time recording: Notes, mod wheel, and slowly occurring sustain pedal data are all good candidates for real-time recording. Remember you can make multiple passes, recording a different kind of data with each pass - each pass set to the same MIDI channel, of course.
    2. Editing: Keyswitches, portamento, VAR1, VAR2, and rapidly occurring sustain pedal data are examples of things best drawn into your tracks in a task-specific manner after the note data is recorded. Consult with your sequencer's manual or Help files for instructions on drawing controller data into your tracks.
    3. Tweaking: All MIDI data can be adjusted to "fine tune" things. Once again, the drawing tools in your sequencer can give you the freedom to adjust to your heart's content.

Be sure to consult the Update documentation (see link in earlier post) for detailed information on the use of advanced portamento features (cc19, cc20).

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by rfdillon
    I used the Mod wheel, which made the violin crescendo and decrescendo nicely, but when I used the sustain pedal, the notes sounded too extended, and very un natural. When I attempted to play them in a legato style without the sustain pedal (CC64) they sounded almost right, but lacked a certain smoothness.

If I were to assign one of my sliders on the A-80 to Portamento, could I some how re-record just the portamento slider data, and would that some how smooth out my notes? Or could I add a Portamento controller of some sort to the Midi data in Sonar 4 PE, using the event view? Thanks so much for your reply, and patience, Richard Dillon
    The sustain pedal should not “extend” the notes in any way if you have the player properly set in the “Options” menu to Pedal Mode 2 (MIDI switching.) The pedal should only affect note transitions (the smoothness you refer to.) If the pedal extends notes then you are most likely incorrectly in the first Pedal Mode (the standard piano mode.)

I recommend using the drawing tools in Sonar4 (at the bottom of the piano roll view) rather than assigning the controller to a hardware slider to handle portamento data. Let me emphasize: It’s essential that you read the Sonar manual (eventually cover-to-cover) and the GPO Update documentation for detailed info on how to do these things and how they work. Especially the application of portamento cannot be easily grasped without thoroughly absorbing the documentation. Even then you may have questions.

Also, the online tutorials by Danielle are a good resource. The flute tutorial that I posted recently has broad application as well. Check them out here on the forum. You’ll find other tutorial materials on the Garritan site.

Tom

P.S. By the way, for a good example of what can be accomplished with the solo strings see this thread: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ght=Andy+Brick

In the same ballpark, I have an additional question:

Is it possible to create a smooth slide from one note to another on the violin or the viola. For example, I want to start on C, then slide smoothly, at a moderate speed, down to G, all at an equal speed.

What is the best way to do something like this. Put in pitch wheel adustments by hand? or how possibly.

I would expect to do this in a sequencer, I suppose. I am using Cubase SX2.

Go Back to forum