• Register
  • Help

Topic: What's the diff between Kontakt and Kompakt ? I'm confused

Share/Bookmark

Question What's the diff between Kontakt and Kompakt ? I'm confused

What's the diff between Kontakt and Kompakt ? I'm confused.

Re: What's the diff between Kontakt and Kompakt ? I'm confused

Kompakt is a more streamlined and basic version of Kontakt. It allows playback of Kontakt libraries - but very very extremely limited editing of those instruments. So, if you just load and play a Kontakt lib without messing with any of the programming - then Kompakt will work great for you. However, if you prefer to tweak - you'll need Kontakt.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Question Re: What's the diff between Kontakt and Kompakt ? I'm confused

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    Kompakt is a more streamlined and basic version of Kontakt. It allows playback of Kontakt libraries - but very very extremely limited editing of those instruments. So, if you just load and play a Kontakt lib without messing with any of the programming - then Kompakt will work great for you. However, if you prefer to tweak - you'll need Kontakt.
    Thanks Alan,
    The reason I ask is:
    I have Halion2 and what would be better:
    Upgrade to Halion3 which reads nki's or buy Kompakt since as a EW lib user i have an upgrade discount at NI.

That's a tough call luk.

My personal bias is wth Kompakt for you because I love the Kom/Kontakt software, and develope all my instruments in it.

So, that's a call you really have to make - if you think it would be better to get the advanced features in HAL 3 for the new HAL 3 libs - or if you want to join the NI family and be able to play back .nki files correctly. Just remember - because HAL 3 says it can play .nki's - doesn't mean that everything will translate over. Many features tend to disappear when other samplers try to open eachother's native format.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    True to a point, however Kompakt has most of the sound shaping features of Kontakt, the same audio engine, and for most libraries has everything you need to accurately reproduce the sounds, and is included free of charge with all of our virtual instruments, compared to several hundred dollars for Kontakt. Kontakt will allow you to make your own programs, something not many do in our experience. Kontakt also has 16 channels as opposed to 8 in Kompakt, but you can open multiple copies of Kompakt (instances) to create more.

With regards to your question about Halion. You will not be able to import our Kompakt or Intakt libraries (or the 100+ other libraries from other developers) into Halion (or anything else), you can only do that with Kontakt after the Kompakt or Intakt libraries have been registered.

Hope that helps,

- Doug

I have Halion and have (for the moment) chosen not to upgrade. I've pretty much found myself going with Kontakt for all my sampling needs. Not that I didn't like Halion... but what also got me looking at Kontakt was the fact that I had gotten a number of EW Kompakt-based libraries, so I decided to focus my attention on NI.

I've also grown wary of Steinberg's "love 'em and leave 'em" track record with vst instruments.

For general use I like Kompakt a lot and imo it offers pretty much everything you need for daily tweaking. It has most of the same features that I think a decent synth would have in terms of envelopes, the filter, basic modulation, etc. It's really nice that everything is right there in front of you.

Re Alan's comment on tweaking... I think his definition of tweak is made from a programmer/sample developer's pov, whereas Doug's definition is geared towards a player's perspective? If I'm understanding those posts correctly.

Kontakt is great for when you want to roll up your sleeves and really dig in, and of course when you're doing your own sampling and programming. Also if you have a number of libraries it's great to be able to create multis that consist of elements from various places.

Hmm... don't know if that helps... here's a shorter answer...

Essentially, Kontakt is the full enchilada, whereas Kompakt is its very capable younger sibling. I think Kompakt is basically playback/tweak vs. Kontakt is everything.

(An old school hardware analogy might possibly be... like having an unlimited load Proteus 2500 vs having an EIV - both are good and powerful in their own ways)

I am thinking about purchasing Kompakt, but I am wondering what will happen in light of Kontakt 2. Will NI stop selling the stand alone Kompakt player and push everyone into Kontakt or will they come out with Kompakt 2, with the same type of relationship to Kontak 2 as Kompakt (1) had to Kontak (1).

If I purchased Kompakt now, what (if anything) wil I need to do to upgrade to Kompakt 2? Will the libraries be different.

Oh, many many questions. . . .

jeffn1

Quote Originally Posted by Seq
    I have Halion and have (for the moment) chosen not to upgrade. I've pretty much found myself going with Kontakt for all my sampling needs. Not that I didn't like Halion... but what also got me looking at Kontakt was the fact that I had gotten a number of EW Kompakt-based libraries, so I decided to focus my attention on NI.

I've also grown wary of Steinberg's "love 'em and leave 'em" track record with vst instruments.

For general use I like Kompakt a lot and imo it offers pretty much everything you need for daily tweaking. It has most of the same features that I think a decent synth would have in terms of envelopes, the filter, basic modulation, etc. It's really nice that everything is right there in front of you.

Re Alan's comment on tweaking... I think his definition of tweak is made from a programmer/sample developer's pov, whereas Doug's definition is geared towards a player's perspective? If I'm understanding those posts correctly.

Kontakt is great for when you want to roll up your sleeves and really dig in, and of course when you're doing your own sampling and programming. Also if you have a number of libraries it's great to be able to create multis that consist of elements from various places.

Hmm... don't know if that helps... here's a shorter answer...

Essentially, Kontakt is the full enchilada, whereas Kompakt is its very capable younger sibling. I think Kompakt is basically playback/tweak vs. Kontakt is everything.

(An old school hardware analogy might possibly be... like having an unlimited load Proteus 2500 vs having an EIV - both are good and powerful in their own ways)
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Go Back to forum