• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SAM Trombones for big band??

Share/Bookmark

SAM Trombones for big band??

I'm currently working on some big band charts for a guy who plays with a live horn section, as well as instruments on disc. he wants the whole arrangement, except solos, on disc. I can cover the piano, bass, drums, and guitar with samples. I also play tenor and alto sax, as well as trumpet, so those sections are no problem. However I need something for trombones, something that will hold up well with the live horns, as trombone sounds in my synths sound horribly CHEESY especially when played with real saxes and trumpets. I've checked out the SAM trombones and it seems like they are more useful in an orchestral setting, but is anyone using them, particularly the closer mic'd samples to cover big band trombones? I really don't need anything other than 'bones, so I'm disinclined to pop for a whole brass lib if I can get away without doing so. If not SAM, can anyone suggest something else? Thanks!!

Re: SAM Trombones for big band??

I don't think the SAM bones sound cheesy or synthy in any way, so should be fine, also for Jazz. I'm not a Jazz expert (far from it), but I think you can use the far mics for a big band arrangment (they are recorded 10-13 meter, I believe). I used them once in a jazzy kind of piece and it worked very well. So I would say, it's a good choice.

Area51,

This is a bit off topic, but if you're so inclined, would you be willing to share some of the end results of your mock-ups here? To my knowledge, no one ever posts any original big band writing here at NS forums. And that goes for the rest of you too! Let's hear some big band writing!

Have you looked at Quantum Leap Brass? It's an excellent collection that is very useful for jazz-type settings: http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...html?sku=QLBS5

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Out of all the orchestral brass packages, the one which will most successfully mock up big band is VSL in my experience. I don't have experience with SAM, so perhaps it would do it, but being a hall recording, even the close mics might not have the "studio bite" that you'd need. Someone who has both, and knows what he's talking about with big band would have to fill you in, there.

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    Area51,

This is a bit off topic, but if you're so inclined, would you be willing to share some of the end results of your mock-ups here? To my knowledge, no one ever posts any original big band writing here at NS forums. And that goes for the rest of you too! Let's hear some big band writing!
    King Idiot posted such an arrangment a year ago or so. Maybe he can say something about the brass he used...

Quote Originally Posted by Markus S
    King Idiot posted such an arrangment a year ago or so. Maybe he can say something about the brass he used...
    Personally, I'm more interested in hearing the writing and orchestration.

On a separate note, on Ned's above recommendation I listened to the Quantum Leap Brass demo, and wasn't that blown away (for jazz bigband purposes). The individual instruments sounded great (particularly the trombones), but the collective horn section sounded less than convincing to me. The trumpets were particularly disappointing. Just one man's opinion...

Hm, well, I understand one aspect of his choice is that he is just looking for the bones. If he goes VSL he will have to purchase, not only all the brass, but also the woods. I don't know if QL sells instruments separately. If not, I guess SAM is the best choice anyway...

Yeah, really at this stage I just want 'bone samples, as like I said I've got everything else covered w/the real deal. Also I won't be doing any writing on this project per se, just reading and recording the charts.

One more question. The info I can find about SAM trombones says that they sampled 3 trombones playing in unison. does anybody know if there are any samples that are of just 1 trombone in the set? I couldn't find anything about that and for a big band thing samples of single instruments would be much more useful, as I don't want to end up with a 9 to 12 piece 'bone section by the time I layer parts.

Go Back to forum