• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Fast and Furious played by EWQLSO

Share/Bookmark

Fast and Furious played by EWQLSO

I would like a few comments on this (especially constructive criticism is appreciated since i am still learning).

http://www.jsod.de/~marve/fast_and_furious.mp3 (5.3MB)

I'm somewhat unsatisfied with the brass in the end and the overall percussion for some reason, but i dont know what i dont like about it...

Maybe some of the real pros here can figure it out

Oh, and yes, composition by me.

Cubase File avail. on request...

Re: Fast and Furious played by EWQLSO

Good piece. The main theme is a nice bouncy one. And you implement some nice counter-lines on its recap. That big tutti section with the strings sounds a little dense and using block chords on sampled strings really reveals their synthy sonorities. For that big section, perhaps fill out the harmonies with some winds or horns (they're great for that).

That adagietto middle section with the strings would benefit from some more counterpoint in the middle section, perhaps a viola arpeggiation around the harmony or even celli. It would give it some more flow but this is just a personal suggestion- there's nothing wrong with the way it is since it does contrast your A section.

Are you using Gold or Platinum? The spiccato violin patch you use sounds too rich for Silver. Because you repeat you theme quite a bit, perhaps changing the sample from the short spiccato to a martele up/down patch or even double it up the octave with a flute or in unison with an oboe or down the octave with a bassoon. Because the line is long but is constructed with similar intervals it would be good to apply some timbral variety each time it's recapitulated.

Other than that, nice classical sounding piece!

Quote Originally Posted by dcoscina
    That big tutti section with the strings sounds a little dense and using block chords on sampled strings really reveals their synthy sonorities. For that big section, perhaps fill out the harmonies with some winds or horns (they're great for that).
    Ah, that explains it, yes. The problem is, that, while i would really like to add brass or winds there with a faster pace, i haven't figured out how to get a nice legato from the library, and it always sounds 'sampled' on every new note.

Are you using Gold or Platinum? The spiccato violin patch you use sounds too rich for Silver.
    It is definitely Silver. These spiccato violins tho are about the only thing i've found suitable for faster tempi so far. I would like more of a legato violin patch that doesn't have a "fading in" in the beginning of every note.

Because you repeat you theme quite a bit, perhaps changing the sample from the short spiccato to a martele up/down patch or even double it up the octave with a flute or in unison with an oboe or down the octave with a bassoon. Because the line is long but is constructed with similar intervals it would be good to apply some timbral variety each time it's recapitulated.
    Good suggestion. I'll give that a shot, sounds worth it

So, for me the main question that remains:
    With EWQLSO, how do you produce a nice, uninterrupted legato at a faster pace (a little slower than the spiccato part, but still relatively fast.

Quote Originally Posted by illuminatus
    With EWQLSO, how do you produce a nice, uninterrupted legato at a faster pace (a little slower than the spiccato part, but still relatively fast.
    You order the Pro upgrade and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by janila
    You order the Pro upgrade and hope for the best.
    I...dont really like when people use the words 'hope for the best' and 'order' in one sentence

janilla's point albeit funny is valid. Getting a good realistic string legato for fast tempi is difficult- with any library I've heard except maybe the SISS (Sonic Implants). It's a hard thing to capture. But the Qlegato that will be featured on a number of instruments on the Pro upgrades for EWQLSO certainly have a lot of people salivating (and hoping) for really effective legatos. I know I'm one of them.

Silver is limited by its articulations unfortunately although I'm damn impressed with the sound you got out of it. I have SIlver and Gold and the latter has a quite a few more variations of spiccato and martele. I wouldn't endorse buying every new thing to satiate your compositional needs but getting Silver Pro or Gold might aid you in your requirements.

But really, thumbs waaaay up for giving Silver a damn good workout. You have talent kiddo!

janilla's point albeit funny is valid. Getting a good realistic string legato for fast tempi is difficult- with any library I've heard except maybe the SISS (Sonic Implants). It's a hard thing to capture. But the Qlegato that will be featured on a number of instruments on the Pro upgrades for EWQLSO certainly have a lot of people salivating (and hoping) for really effective legatos. I know I'm one of them.
    Hm, do you know if there are any demonstrations of that famed QLegato anywhere? I'd really like to get an impression on it.

Silver is limited by its articulations unfortunately although I'm damn impressed with the sound you got out of it. I have SIlver and Gold and the latter has a quite a few more variations of spiccato and martele. I wouldn't endorse buying every new thing to satiate your compositional needs but getting Silver Pro or Gold might aid you in your requirements.
    Hm, Gold is relatively expensive given the fact that i only do that as a hobby anyways. But from the sounds of the Silver library (and i must say that EWQLSO is the first lib giving me a spine chill), i guess it IS worth giving it a try. Even tho i've noticed that some things can be pushed to more articulations using the modwheel. Not too much, but enough to keep you busy

But really, thumbs waaaay up for giving Silver a damn good workout. You have talent kiddo!
    Thanks

.oO(must. not. tell. real. age...)

Insofar as the demos for Qlegato are concerned- get in line! Tons of us have been waiting for some demos from Doug and Nick. I'm sure they are around the corner. The release date of the Pro upgrades is late April. Hopefully some demos will be posted soon. I think I've been very altruistic in offering to produce demos of the new Platinum Pro uprgade for Doug and Nick, at no cost (save for the Platinum Pro itself) but strangely they haven't taken me up on my generous offer

Insofar as the demos for Qlegato are concerned- get in line! Tons of us have been waiting for some demos from Doug and Nick. I'm sure they are around the corner. The release date of the Pro upgrades is late April. Hopefully some demos will be posted soon. I think I've been very altruistic in offering to produce demos of the new Platinum Pro uprgade for Doug and Nick, at no cost (save for the Platinum Pro itself) but strangely they haven't taken me up on my generous offer
    Hehehe, hey, good idea! *goes and offers demo for silver*

Very nice piece. I agree with this insights of dcoscina. As I was listining to the first minute, I was thinking, "this is nice, but he needs something chromatic" and within a few more measures you inserted the chromiatic figure that moves up to the tonic note. Just what I wanted and just in the right place. Very nice.

David

Go Back to forum