• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Smearing the pitch with RA!

Share/Bookmark

Smearing the pitch with RA!

Well this is news to me and I'm not really sure why it even works frankly but for some reason when you fall off the pitch with a guitar controller it triggers a fall off pitch smear in RA. The reverse is true as well.

I'm not sure if it works in other libraries but I assume so. This is very exciting stuff as it raises up the realism exponentially when playing (triggering) instruments with no frets, etc. Just stunning with Duduk, Cedar flute, Oud, Violin......

Pretty tough to use a pitch wheel while you're playing guitar.
    Michael Telle
    Vagabond
    Bay Area

Re: Smearing the pitch with RA!

what guitar controller are you using? I'm very interested in this since I'm new to the keyboard, but a longtime guitar player.

thanks,
    ants

Banned

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a fall-off pitch smear? From your description, I think I have an idea that it's something like a descending pitch sample that gets triggered in that case? (Kind of like a release sample, but not really.)

It sounds interesting, in any case

Thanks,
    Stefan

I'm using a Roland GK-3 pickup into a GI-20 interface. But I don't think it matters what guitar controller you're using.

It just falls off the original pitch, I just call it a pitch smear. The whole point is, I don't know why it works, it just does. It does not trigger a release sample of a descending pitch or anything like that. That would be very difficult to impossible to impliment I would imagine.

It appears to be magic.
    Michael Telle
    Vagabond
    Bay Area

It is a pitch bend isn't it? Most midi can do that.

its jsut pitch bend mostly..., unless you're talking about multiple notes, then its jsut samples being triggered

all depends on the samples and software settings. You can set it to actualyl track pitch differences between notes and translate that to pitch bend data.

Or turn it off, and set it to jsut track note to note.

Guitar controllers are awesome for some string libs and alot of choir/voice libs, and sax. Its really about the expression that translates from guitar playing, since everynote is tracked (as well as false ones). Its like playing solo lines on a keyboard, but triggering EVERY NOTE between notes in a melody, making for "slides"
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Quote Originally Posted by KingIdiot
    Its like playing solo lines on a keyboard, but triggering EVERY NOTE between notes in a melody, making for "slides"
    Well, this is what I don't get. How can it trigger all of these micro tones when the samples don't exist? And how can it just be pitch bend when if you fall off a note on a guitar there are no micro tones? It doesn't do it if I bend a note up a micro tone, only if I slide along the string.

Kinda baffled about the whole thing.
    Michael Telle
    Vagabond
    Bay Area

ok...

I'm lost, I dont know exactly what you're hearnign now

as for the microtuning stuff. Thats because RA is programmed to have microtuning. Maybe thats what you're hearing.
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Hey King, thanks for sticking with this a bit. Yeah, it's a puzzler. Could be microtuning I suppose but since you have to select each tuning seperately I don't see how that can be triggered with a fasll off pitch on the guitar.

I must be missing something. I'll look into it a little more. I'll see if the same gesture with Gold produces the same results or not and then fiddle with the pitch bend options on the interface and see if I can get some more information about this.

In the meantime if you or anyone has an idea about this please let me know.

Thanks
    Michael Telle
    Vagabond
    Bay Area

the easiest way would be to post an audio exemple of what you are talking about...

Go Back to forum