• Register
  • Help

Topic: If you have opus y then epic horns and more?

Share/Bookmark

If you have opus y then epic horns and more?

Hi all. I was jsut wondering. If you have opus 1 why would you need epic horns. Seems to me it does not make much sence, you spend all the money on opus which is not cheap 1000, and then you have to buy epic horns. I saw on there web site for there demos, they are using more then just opus, they are using opus plus epic horns plus this and plus that, so its like 5 or six different libaray for one song, which seems odd to me, as the demos are suppose to show off what opus can do. Well the reality is it cant do any of them based on the fact that they need other vsl libarys to achive the sound. Is it just me or does this seem weird?

Re: If you have opus y then epic horns and more?

Because Epic Horns is a different recording, with a different idea behind it. Plus, I *think* its french horns in EH.

Thats why they have their french solo oboe library as well. Its not in Opus 1.

Ed

Are the horns included with Opus1 decent enough? i'm curious.
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

According to the web site, for vsl, the epic horns make no mention of the frech horn. And to the other guy that is what i was asking why was a new recording needed for the horns. Its like if you really want a good sound with out buy everything, you have to buy opus, then epic horns, then the solo strings, then the woodwins set and so on and so fourth.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Epic Horns is a large section, a specialized tool for Wagnerian, et. al., type heroic sounds. I am not sure what subset of the horns from the Pro Edition are in Opus 1, but there is certainly a servicable horn representation there.

Any of the major orchestral packages will be expensive. They are expensive libraries to produce.

I would also be curious to hear opinions about the usefulness of Epic Horns if you already have one of the VSL libraries. The four horn ensemble patches have a pretty agressive sound, so the need for more is not immediately obvious - or is it?

I think from memory that Epic Horns is 8 French Horns? I seem to remember theyre being a complaint that the Horns that come standard with VSL werent "Hollywood enough" or something... I dont own the lib though so cant comment on the Horn sound overall.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

I have Opus 1 and Epic Horns. Although I think the Opus 1 horns are good, especially if you're going for the Concertgebouw/Vienna Philharmonic horn sound, they have a distinctly different sound than Epic Horns. Many people prefer Epic Horns because they use french horns instead of viennese horns. It does mention this on their website, though not in the most obvious place. If you look under section sizes in the FAQ, it says something about using french horns for Epic Horns.

Getting an aggressive sound will never be a problem with Opus 1's horn sections. Many people say that the viennese horn isn't as powerful as the double horn... but if you listen to, say, Bruckner's 8th or 9th symphony with Giulini and the Vienna Philharmonic, it's one of the most massive, powerful sounding horn sections you're likely to ever find. That said, I do think Epic Horns is the best sample library I've ever used, and although it is by no means necessary to use with Opus 1, I would certainly recommend it. Using both libraries in the same piece and having the 4-horn sections from opus 1 play chords and the 8-horn epic horns play unison lines can be a bit of a problem if significant EQ isn't applied to one of them, since the sounds are quite different.

Honestly, I think that the differences in the sound of the different horns are a much more impoartant factor than the number of horns used in each library.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Temple
    I have Opus 1 and Epic Horns. Although I think the Opus 1 horns are good, especially if you're going for the Concertgebouw/Vienna Philharmonic horn sound, they have a distinctly different sound than Epic Horns. Many people prefer Epic Horns because they use french horns instead of viennese horns. It does mention this on their website, though not in the most obvious place. If you look under section sizes in the FAQ, it says something about using french horns for Epic Horns.

Getting an aggressive sound will never be a problem with Opus 1's horn sections. Many people say that the viennese horn isn't as powerful as the double horn... but if you listen to, say, Bruckner's 8th or 9th symphony with Giulini and the Vienna Philharmonic, it's one of the most massive, powerful sounding horn sections you're likely to ever find. That said, I do think Epic Horns is the best sample library I've ever used, and although it is by no means necessary to use with Opus 1, I would certainly recommend it. Using both libraries in the same piece and having the 4-horn sections from opus 1 play chords and the 8-horn epic horns play unison lines can be a bit of a problem if significant EQ isn't applied to one of them, since the sounds are quite different.

Honestly, I think that the differences in the sound of the different horns are a much more impoartant factor than the number of horns used in each library.

Thank you for your informed review of the differences. I hadn't realized that different instruments were used for a completely different sound. And the unfortunate side effect of a certain... 'incompatibility' between the two.. Since the day Epic Horns was released I have thought it was a shame that it also didn't include a solo french horn (after all, the oboe library comes with the E flat clarinet and english horn as extras) to give the user more versatility (and another high grade solo horn to work with).

I wouldn't go so far as to say the two are incompatable. At the p-mf range the blend is fine, especially if it's set back in a full orchestral mix. It's the ff layer where the problem is, for the most part.

Go Back to forum