• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anybody in/around Baltimore?

Share/Bookmark

Anybody in/around Baltimore?

This weekend I opened an original show entitled "An Old Cracked Tune" which will run for 4 more weekends at Spotlighters Theater in downtown Baltimore.

I wrote all the music for the show, although sadly there was no opportunity for GPO in this one. The music is mostly for everyday objects (there's a Fugue for Toothbrushes and a Samba for Diner Plates of Half-Eaten Pie, for example).

It's a silly and fun show about a world where conservative special interest groups have outlawed all art and performance except that which is used to sell products, and a group of stealth performers determined to sneak art back in any way possible. In addition to the found-percussion stuff, there's tapdance, real-time sketching, juggling, spoken word and performance art, and a high-energy cast with an wonderful sense of silly.

It's been very exciting and successful so far, and is already starting to develop a following. Check out the theater's website at www.spotlighters.org ...

thanks,
    chris.

Re: Anybody in/around Baltimore?

Anybody in/around Baltimore?
    First of all, no. Everyone has moved to Atlantic City to get away from the vicinity of Washington D.C.

I used to live there a long time back, played organ in a chitlin' circuit club I've forgotten the name of, but the owner was the biggest numbers runner in Balto. Also at a strip club called the Club Les Gals, 24-hour joint way off the strip, we were a jazz band backing the ladies. He even brought in Dizzy Gillespie and Ruth Brown for a week each while we were there. The band was "Dan Brown and the Dynamics," to which I always added, "Dynamics - that means loud..."

But the plot has been done in a sci-fi story quite a while ago - perhaps, "Tunesmith" by Lloyd Biggle. The hero's name was something like Walter(?) Beethoven, he played a synthesizer and did all the "coms" (commercials, the only allowed music) then decided he'd make up his own music - persecuted, his life messed up, he goes deaf (or is made to be so but in the end, sits around a concert hall, unable to hear, but knowing it's real music, not jingles, while the young concertgoers wonder what he's doing there...

But nice to see a different approach to the theme.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Re: Anybody in/around Baltimore?

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    This weekend I opened an original show entitled "An Old Cracked Tune" which will run for 4 more weekends at Spotlighters Theater in downtown Baltimore.

I wrote all the music for the show, although sadly there was no opportunity for GPO in this one. The music is mostly for everyday objects (there's a Fugue for Toothbrushes and a Samba for Diner Plates of Half-Eaten Pie, for example).

It's a silly and fun show about a world where conservative special interest groups have outlawed all art and performance except that which is used to sell products, and a group of stealth performers determined to sneak art back in any way possible. In addition to the found-percussion stuff, there's tapdance, real-time sketching, juggling, spoken word and performance art, and a high-energy cast with an wonderful sense of silly.

It's been very exciting and successful so far, and is already starting to develop a following. Check out the theater's website at www.spotlighters.org ...

thanks,
    chris.
    Well, the closest I ever came to living in the Baltimore area was when the Army had plans to send me there, but I had other plans, and convinced the proper officials that I ought to remain in San Francisco!

Richard

Go Back to forum