• Register
  • Help

Topic: Clock Ticking Sample?

Share/Bookmark

Clock Ticking Sample?

I know I've heard this...I probably even have it somewhere, but I've searched thru Trilogy and VSL Percussion and can't find it.

I'm trying to get a sample of a clock, watch, whatever...ticking. I remember playing one once that was on two keys so you could play the samples in tempo....a light ticking as you might hear in a film just before "the explosion"....anyone know if this is around for GIGA?

Thanks
    TH

Re: Clock Ticking Sample?

Ther are some nice clocks on Hollywood edge - just excise a tick and a tock, put one on each note and off you go!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick
    Ther are some nice clocks on Hollywood edge - just excise a tick and a tock, put one on each note and off you go!
    This is exactly what I did.

In fact, I just updated my clock "sample," for a show that I just completed. I cut up all of the individual clock files into ticks and tocks, and made a 32-step round robin in Giga 3, which works fantastically. Just pressing one key, I get the whole tick-tock sequence, and all of the great anomalies of the original recording...where the character of the ticking morphs a bit over time.

A little obsessive for a clock tick, perhaps, but it really sounds great--much better than my first attempt, where I did velocity splits and had ticks and tocks on two separate keys. I mapped them with linear/low dynamics, so I could vary which "tick" was sounding via velocity while getting no change in volume. That worked, but was more cumbersome to use. In the new one, I have only a single velocity, and the round robin does all the variation. Much easier to sequence, and quite a bit more realistic.

Talking Re: Clock Ticking Sample?

Bruce, would that be a sort of ticky-tocky-toony? Stylus RMX seems to lack that category -perhaps a new expander could fill the breach.

In the meantime, would you be willing to post one of your ticks for us?

Nigel

Edit:

wow...Bruce, you mean it - I really am impressed (no s--t)
    Last edited by Nigel W; 03-22-2005 at 11:14 AM. Reason: I realized Bruce is serious about his clock

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Yes, I was actually serious. The ticking clock thing is one of those sounds you end up needing to use a lot, and getting it set up so that you can easily sequence it to any tempo and have it work out well makes it easy. Same thing with heartbeats, etc. A round robin of several seconds worth of these kinds of sounds, so that it has a linear character instead of just a "sample being triggered" character gives a lot nicer feeling.

Haha. I get serious about all kinds of minutia.

Go Back to forum