• Register
  • Help

Topic: PROJECTED SYSTEM PERFORMANCE

Share/Bookmark

PROJECTED SYSTEM PERFORMANCE

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A WESTERN DIGITAL 7200 RPM EXPERT 18 GIG UDMA66 HARD DRIVE WHICH IS SUPPOSSED TO BE THE LATEST THING. I PLAN ON PURCHASING AN ABIT BE6 UDMA66 MOTHERBOARD, ATX FORM AND RUN ON A PII 350 AT 128 MEG OF RAM. I WANT TO RUN GIGA ALONG WITH CAKEWALK 8.04 USING A LEXICON CORE2 FOR VOCAL TRACKS AT 24 BIT AND GIGA VIA YAMAHA SOUNDCROWN FOR INSTRUMENT TRACKS. I AM CURIOUS AS TO HOW MANY AUDIO TRACKS I CAN EXPECT TO ACHIEVE AFTER I CONVERT ALL MIDI TRACKS TO AUDIO TRACKS FROM THE SOUNDCROWN SPDIF OUT INTO THE CORE2 SPDIF IN IN ADDITION TO MY VOCAL TRACKS. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE DO ANYTHING SIMILIAR TO THIS AND IF SO HOW MANY TOTAL TRACKS DO YOU ACHIEVE. WHAT ABOUT YOU KIA?

Re: PROJECTED SYSTEM PERFORMANCE

Take a look at the page I created related to HD performance. I use PARIS which has configurable I/O blocksizes. I\'m not sure about Cakewalk, but I believe it uses fairly small blocksizes (16 or 32K). The program will give you a guesstimate as to what you system is capable of, from a HD perspective.
    http://www.angelfire.com/wa/busch/dskbench.html

THANKS BUSCH, I WILL RESEARCH MY MANUAL AND\\OR CONSULT CAKEWALK TECHNICAL SUPPORT TO FIND OUT WHAT AUDIO BLOCK SIZE CAKEWALK UTILIZES.

Naz

Looking at your spec, I would always give a \"guestimate\" on audio track performance. PaPa Chalk uses a PII 350 celeron (I think) and gets some great results but in the world of PC\'s nothing is constant.

I would be expecting 16 to 20 tracks of audio BUT once you apply a plug-in reverb things go right out of the window.

I would guess you be lucky to get 16. Don\'t forget you will be asking the CPU to run GS, Cakewalk,windows and a reverb. An awful lot going on there.

Bear in mind that I am being a tad negative. Cakewalk is one of the most efficent sequencers as far as audio goes. I run VST 3.7 on my home PC and Cakewalk outperforms the audio on VST by a long way But yet again that might not be the case for everyone.

I can buy an Athlon 500mhz chip for £200 in the UK. When I am out on the road and people ask me a similer question, I always ask them to try the system out and see what you get if you only get 12 tracks then upgrade the chip, you don\'t know until you try..

As an addition, Block size isn\'t that relative when the cost of upgrading is so cheap..If it dont work; upgrade it.

The audio buffer size is the most important thing in Cakewalk if you want to \"experiment\".

I hope this helps

KIA

THANKS FOR THE REPLY KIA. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THE PRICE OF THE PIII CHIPS AND THEY SEEM TO BE FALLING FASTER THAN THE PRICE OF EIGHT TRACK TAPES RECENTLY. PERHAPS THERE IS A NEW GENERATION OF PROCESSORS ON THE HORIZON. I MAY UPGRADE TO MAYBE 500 MHZ WHICH I SAW GOING FOR $225 TODAY. THE ABIT BE6 MOTHERBOARD SUPPORTS PII OR PIII AND ALSO UDMA66. THAT IS WHY I SELECTED THIS BOARD.

NAZARU

NAZ

I am in the same boat as you. I need to upgrade my PC and changing the motherboard and CPU represents the cheapest,clearest improvement in PC performance.
    I have to \"get off the fence\" and do the deed. I will probably stick with a AMDK6 500 mhz (£110). My reasoning is that it is more than capable of running GS and that there is virtually no software outhere that takes advantage of a PIII\'s performance (Cubase 24 being the only exception)so why overdo it.

Apart from that, its hard to convince my wife that something she can\'t see is going to improve our way of life.. (women are so anoyingly pracatical)

KIA

KIA is correct about the speed and system. Every system is different in some way, because of configuration issues. You might have different ram, sound card, software and the way they are setup and assign my be completely different. Incidentally this is why it takes so much longer to write code for pc as opposed to ....should I say it... Mac. There are so many different pc manufactures out there, every motherboard/ system differs in some way. so you have to write code for these differences.

We get great results on my system and Desounds. My celeron is overclocked to 450mhz I get better results because of the speed, also ram definitely helps. I went from 128 to 192. BIG difference. I want to go to 256 but.... have you seen the price of ram lately.
    At our studio we\'ve managed to get 32 tracks on cubase vst 3.7 with compressor and a little reverb. Here is some songs a producer managed to create with GigaSampler
    and Vst at our studio. The system at the time had a PII 350
    with about 192ram.
    http://www.northernsounds.com/demos/dance/lac/sayn.mp3 http://www.northernsounds.com/demos/dance/lac/itsup.mp3

An upgrade in Speed and ram will give you great results.

PaPa Chalk

THANKS FOR THE ADVISE PAPA-CHALK. THAT IS PRETTY IMPRESSIVE GETTING 32 TRACKS OF AUDIO WITH A PII350. YOU MUST BE USING SCSSI DRIVES AND THEIR FASTER SPEEDS. AS SOON AS MY MONEY ALLOWS I WILL UPGRADE. I\'LL GO WITH THE PIII 500 AND 256 MEG RAM. I\'VE ALLREADY INVESTED IN A W.D. 7200 UDMA 66 IDE SO I AM PRETTY MUCH SET ON THAT END. KIA SAYS THAT HE IS USING AN AMD K63 500 FOR PROCESSING BUT I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT AMD WAS NOT ADEQUATE FOR AUDIO APPLICATIONS. SOMETHING ABOUT A FLOATING DECIMAL OR MATH PROCESSOR? WHAT HAVE YOU HEARD? I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE THAT CERTAIN SOUND CARDS SUCH AS GINA ARE NOT COMPATABLE WITH AMD PROCESSORS.

Maybe we should structure these discussions a bit by starting to work on some kind of a GS PC-configurator. (like the one on www.dell.com)

One would have dropdown menu\'s and choose it\'s own custom config from proven PC parts (processor, mem, HD, ...) and the result being the (estimated) price estimate, number of audio tracks, and other relevant decision criteria...

This should turn out to a good sales tool for Nemesys itself. The whole thing could be prepared by this or a more dedicated group.

Does this make sense?

luk

Go Back to forum