• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Help needed in choosing the right soundproofing.

Share/Bookmark

OT: Help needed in choosing the right soundproofing.

I just started my own business for music composition. I am looking to find high quality sound proofing materials to use. Any suggestions. I would prefer a low cost estimate if possible. I just need base prices for well known-proven to work materials by yard/square etc. This is of course for cutting highs/mids/lows.
    Adam Frechette
    Alternate Future Productions, LLC. CEO
    Composition | Web Design
    - www.morningswrath.com
    - www.etherealdarkness.com
    - www.audiostreet.net/adamfrechette

Re: OT: Help needed in choosing the right soundproofing.

Adam, sound proofing has nothing to do with cutting highs or lows. Soundproofing is just that - preventing sound from getting in OR out. Tight construction, dense walls and no air leaks are primary; substances such as Auralex Sheetblok (denser than lead, but flexible) work well here, along with double ceiling/double wall non-overlapping sheetrock.

Sound conditioning, OTOH, is a much more complex operation, and requires either a "don't care, just do something kit which seems to be popular these days (and does help, but is not going to give you a flat room) or a serious examination of the recording and mixing space(s)

Suggest you pick up some books on the subject - F. Alton Everest is the 'old school' master here, but there are many more contemporary experts in the field. The Auralex site also has a lot of good info, though they will be pushing their own products...

But good luck, a proper environment is so often overlooked in the budgetary process. And it ain't cheap. I spent $10K on my converted garage studio, with no separate control room wall or HVAC, and no floating floor - and that was 10 years ago...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

I have Auralex accoustical foam on the walls, etc...of my studio to minimize unwanted reflections. It does help tighten up the sound. For sound proofing, you really need space (isolated walls, studs, floors, etc... and mass).

Whatever you do, do NOT make the mistake of putting that egg crate foam stuff up and think it is a good idea. The reason being is it will burn in a fire faster than you can say the word "fire". Are you in the US? Remember that horrible night club fire a couple years ago on the east coast where the performance stage had large sheets of the egg crate foam on the walls for "sound proofing". That untreated foam is one of the reasons that place went up in flames so fast.

The auralex accoustical foam treatments not only are designed for this purpose with thier shapes and foam consistancy...but they are fire retardent as well and approved for putting on your walls. It makes them more expensive...but it really is worth it if for that reason alone.

Auralex will also allow you to fax them a layout of your room and they will recommend products of thiers (within your budget) that will properly treat the accoustics of your room.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Here's a link to a ProRec.com article written by Bruce Richardson as he went through the process using Auralex.

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/article...256C190080663A

you can get a lot of (possibly overwhelming) info here:
    http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

Good luck,
    Rob

A great place to go is

http://forum.studiotips.com

My own low budget build is documented there and is achieving pretty excellent results.

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=456

On an entirely more major scale is Paul Woodlock's

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=107

Another good link:

http://www.recording.org/forum-34.html

Mark

Yes absolutely! Sound proofing and properly treating a room for acoustics are two totally different things! Keep these following points in mind:

1. Research! John Slayers is a good place to start, there lies a wealth of info. Although some might dispute this I think Ethan Weiner has some practical information as well.

2. Don't throw up eggcrates on the wall. Er... it sucks and won't do squat for ya.

3. Don't let people discourage you. I've had unknowledgable folk tell me (with a straight face) that without an acoustician and several mill, it's impossible to treat a room. Some people sincerely believe that this cannot be done by a mere mortal. That's insanity. You would be amazed at the great composers/musicians out there who don't have a clue when it comes to this stuff. So refer back to point number 1 and research!

It IS possible to do-it-yourself cheaply (or pay Auralex) to treat your room. It is not too difficult or expensive to build some large broadband frequency absorbers out of rockwool or owens corning. You can get a little more in depth and build some frequency specific membrane traps and then use the BFAs in the corners of your room. Depending on the size of your room that can yield EXCELLENT results for just a couple hundred bucks. Good luck!
    I think a favorite gag in medival times was to sneak up behind a Knight and stick a "kick me" sign on his armor with a magnet.

Oh yeah, and soundsmith is right. If you were to do this "absolutely right" it would cost thousands. I'm suggesting you can upgrade your room significantly though on a small budget. Can you post a pic (drawing) of your working area?
    I think a favorite gag in medival times was to sneak up behind a Knight and stick a "kick me" sign on his armor with a magnet.

Wow, thanks for all of the feedback. When I meant high/mids/lows I meant frequencies goiing in/out of the room, not my speakers etc...lol. As for working space I am looking into renting office space. So I am not too sure what the specifics will be, when I get more information I will post it.
    Adam Frechette
    Alternate Future Productions, LLC. CEO
    Composition | Web Design
    - www.morningswrath.com
    - www.etherealdarkness.com
    - www.audiostreet.net/adamfrechette

Ernstinen, would you mind elaborating on your "staggered stud" technique? Is to diffuse the sound kind of like the ribbed wood panelling you see in concert halls?

The only other staggered stud I can think of is when I was younger, skinnier, had more hair and got stinking drunk in nightclubs.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Go Back to forum