• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Topic: Anyone programming from ProTools?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Post Anyone programming from ProTools?

    Hi there,

    I used to use Cubase as my main program, but given that i'm mostly doing rock/pop genre stuff these days, I've swayed more to ProTools (run from PC) in recent times. I've found Protools way better and quicker for engineering/editing (audio file editing, that is) and mixing IMO. Anyway, I have just purchased EWQL Gold and was wondering if there are many people out there using ProTools for their SO programming?

    I'm guessing Cubase is more suited, because of the midi programming required for this work, but would love some feedback.

    btw i still own, and occasionally work from Cubase (SX-II)

    Thanks.
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

    My Stuff

  2. #2

    Exclamation Re: Anyone programming from ProTools?

    Allow me to ramble.

    I am happy to see this topic actually. Recently, I have been in the midst of a love/hate and guilt trip drama with ProTools.

    Some background: I made my bones with ProTools TDM as a dialog editor for a post-audio house. Many times ProTools has made my life easier when it comes to pure audio editing. Be it dialog to film, radio spots and on… nothing edits like ProTools
    .


    Here’s where the love/hate and guilt comes in. I am now on my own and working as a full time sample developer. My outside work includes audio for video (mostly corporate) and radio spots (mostly corporate). I use the Digi002 as the main rig in house. It’s an amazing piece of gear and allows for VO sessions and the like to run smooth. I very much enjoy ProTools for tracking. The automation is amazing and very helpful but…


    • When I work with video, I almost never open ProTools. I use Sony Vegas.
    • When I have 3000 samples to edit for a library, I find myself using WaveLab.
    • ProTools LE does not allow SMPTE sync. I will open Vegas.
    • ProTools LE does not mix/decode/automate 5.1 audio. I will open Vegas.
    • ProTools bounces in real time. Very annoying. I will open WaveLab.
    You can start to catch my drift here. As far as MIDI, I hardly ever do intense MIDI work and when I do… I open Sonar.

    I’ll stop here. I’d love to hear what others think.
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

  3. #3

    Exclamation Re: Anyone programming from ProTools?

    NOTE: You'll need this info. I pasted it here form any older post.


    Bela D Media writes:


    I agree but this wasn't an upgrade. I purchased a new main PC and it is bundle with SP2. There was no way to remove it. I even tried to restore with an XP SP1 disc but no go. If there are any Digi002 users out there that are having the same problem, here is the answer...

    Use the PT6.4cs9 version and perform the following Windows tweak.

    Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/(startup and recovery)Settings/(system startup)Edit and changed the line to "/Noexecute=AlwaysOff"

    The above must be done or you cannot open ProTools under service pack 2. Period!
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

  4. #4

    Re: Anyone programming from ProTools?

    I do all my midi work in Pro Tools. I have EWQLSO Gold as well, and have it on my main PT computer as well as a second machine I use as a standalone sampler. I'm not running a virtual orchestra with 100 midi tracks, so PT works fine for me, I just use it for occasional sweetening. I know PT isn't the best midi program out there (I keep promising myself to learn Logic but I'm too busy making music to stop and learn another program), some would even say it sux, but it works fine for my purposes. I do lots of midi work, but my writing process is an all-in-one deal where I start recording after I have a couple of midi tracks done, mixing as I go along. I like having everything on the same page, and having only one session to save/open for any given project keeps things simple. I like simple.
    a $120k business degree will get you a job on Wall Street - a $120k Berklee degree will get you a job on Beale Street...

  5. #5

    Re: Anyone programming from ProTools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    [*]ProTools bounces in real time. Very annoying. I will open WaveLab.
    Exactly. I don't know why this is still the case. If you just recorded a 50 minute session you'll have to wait the same amount of time just to get a simple bounced audio track. It's like dubbing tapes without the speed dubbing function.
    Then there's another area where I like to call ProTools retarded: exporting to lossy compression format isn't possible, unless you want to spend a few hundred bucks. Cubase SX exports to mp3, ogg vorbis and real audio without asking for a penny more.
    I've done some recording/mixing sessions in a pro-control based studio in the past, but I don't think I'd use it for creating MIDI mockups or composing at all. The lack of a score editor and still the lacking MIDI features are factors.

  6. #6

    Post Re: Anyone programming from ProTools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    Exactly. I don't know why this is still the case. If you just recorded a 50 minute session you'll have to wait the same amount of time just to get a simple bounced audio track. It's like dubbing tapes without the speed dubbing function.
    Then there's another area where I like to call ProTools retarded: exporting to lossy compression format isn't possible, unless you want to spend a few hundred bucks.
    Right and if there is an error at the 49:00 minute mark - you have to start all over again. One of our customers is a Digi tester. I asked her about this. She doesn't know why they will not give us the option. Heck, it was hard enough just to get the SMPTE ruler. And back to video work... $1000.00 for the DV option is insane.

    Still love being a Digi user but I do get frustrated.

    By the way, are we speaking about the MP3 option? That's only $20.00
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

  7. #7

    Re: Anyone programming from ProTools?

    I think I might've mixed that up with the Digital Video option, or something else.

    20 $ for mp3 is not too bad I guess. I'll rather use my LAME encoder for free though.

  8. #8

    Re: Anyone programming from ProTools?

    Good to hear your thoughts, and i had to laugh at the "pay for you options" comments, because you're dead right. Cubase is still where i do my mp3 coversions etc. I think Protools slug users with $150 (AU) to buy OMF export option.

    Now for a really ignorant question!! (i'm new-apologies).

    Is it possilbe to run Gold off the one computer? I'm noticing much talk of computers plural...

    If it's about storage, I have 2 X 80G hard drives, and an external firwire drive 160G in size. The external is where i would store the library.

    Cheers
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

    My Stuff

  9. #9

    Re: Anyone programming from ProTools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    Allow me to ramble.

    I am happy to see this topic actually. Recently, I have been in the midst of a love/hate and guilt trip drama with ProTools.

    Some background: I made my bones with ProTools TDM as a dialog editor for a post-audio house. Many times ProTools has made my life easier when it comes to pure audio editing. Be it dialog to film, radio spots and on… nothing edits like ProTools
    .


    Here’s where the love/hate and guilt comes in. I am now on my own and working as a full time sample developer. My outside work includes audio for video (mostly corporate) and radio spots (mostly corporate). I use the Digi002 as the main rig in house. It’s an amazing piece of gear and allows for VO sessions and the like to run smooth. I very much enjoy ProTools for tracking. The automation is amazing and very helpful but…


    • When I work with video, I almost never open ProTools. I use Sony Vegas.
    • When I have 3000 samples to edit for a library, I find myself using WaveLab.
    • ProTools LE does not allow SMPTE sync. I will open Vegas.
    • ProTools LE does not mix/decode/automate 5.1 audio. I will open Vegas.
    • ProTools bounces in real time. Very annoying. I will open WaveLab.
    You can start to catch my drift here. As far as MIDI, I hardly ever do intense MIDI work and when I do… I open Sonar.

    I’ll stop here. I’d love to hear what others think.
    WOW! Are you sure that your name is not Guga Bernardo? Stole the words from my mouth, and the thoughts from my mind...

  10. #10

    Re: Anyone programming from ProTools?

    Quote Originally Posted by evaclear
    Is it possilbe to run Gold off the one computer? I'm noticing much talk of computers plural...
    Hi Brad, its possible, but I wouldnt recommend it. I mean, its depends on how big your orchestrations or template is to a certain extent.. perhaps if yuor job consisted of writing simple underscore with a few winds and strings you could sail along on one pc. But the moment you want an orchestral tutti one pc is going to struggle. It can be done, but it'll struggle.

    The other issue is time, if you're working day in, day out with Gold (I certianly do), more than one machine is a must. I can hear everything in real-time without bouncing tracks down.

    Its actually not that expensive to run a slave DAW these days, one of my slaves just has an Athlon 2000 processor in it with 2gb of ram and a network card. No sound card, keyboard, mouse, monitor, or anything else. It can be accessed via remote desktop over the network.

    Hope that helps,

    Scott.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •