• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL velocity layers are velocity sensitive?

VSL velocity layers are velocity sensitive?

I don’t know if this topic has been already discussed somewhere, but I wasn’t able to find anything in the forum: and I wonder that I’m the only GigaStudio user to tackle this problem!
    I should like to start by saying that my “problem” doesn’t concerne the “passage” from a sample-type to another or from a level to another inside the same sample-type: the problem relates to the “passage” from a velocity to another within the same level of the same sample-type.
    Take, for exemple, a violin solo sample – say, Vl_mV_sus – and, inside this, say the Level 3 – velocity range 89-108 - (but the problem is the same for each level).
    Suppose I have a 4/4 bar with four crotchets: if I set the first note to 89, the second one to 108, the third one to 91 and the fourth one to 104, well, in spite of (so) different velocities I don’t hear any difference between the (sound intensity of the) four notes.
    Only if I set a note to, say, 110 I hear a difference, but this happens because I’m triggering the next level – level 4, i.e. another sample -: within the range of level 4 – 109-127 -, once again changes of velocities have no effect on sound intensity and the sampler continues to play the notes with only one loudness per layer.
    I don’t think it’s a sequencer-problem (I use Cubase or, sometimes, Sibelius) because I’m sure that the sequencer sends the different velocities: and it’s hard for me to believe it’s a sampler-problem (I still use GigaStudio 2.5.48 - I’ve not yet moved to GS3) because it occurs just with VSL and not with other libraries.
    As it’s easy to understand, this basic problem limits very much the use of this wonderful library: any suggestion to solve it will be very appreciated.
    Thanks a lot

Re: VSL velocity layers are velocity sensitive?

I know that the Opus 1 lib contains patches with crossfaded velocityswitching as well. They take up 4 times as many voices, but you might want to try those.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Go Back to forum