• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Wireless network for Gigastudio systems?

Share/Bookmark

Wireless network for Gigastudio systems?

Is it possible to use a wireless network to connect various GS systems? Will there be too much latency, dropouts, or other problems?
    My days of single system sampling are reaching their end, but the idea of having more noisy computers in the room with me is not appealing. If I could have them in the next room, or in the closet at the very least it would make things sonically better - and a wireless network would make the setup much more convenient. Is anyone working this way?

P.S.
    I am mostly interested in using the secondary computers for their RAM/CPU/HD to run the samples back into GS on my main system.

Re: Wireless network for Gigastudio systems?

As with everything else, Quality <> Convenience. It’s always in inverse relationship: As Convenience reaches infinity, Quality reaches 0.

Wireless networks are slow and easily interrupted by cell phone traffic, and other RF that might be floating around.

Not that it’s not possible…

You need to wait for UWB (ultra wide band). It should have enough throughput to work. Mostly. As long as your neighbor doesn't run his microwave. And UWB only works in a single room. It doesn't go through walls very well.

Gigabit Ethernet is the most practical solution today. It's fast enough that interrupts don't cause things to fail. And you can run long wire lengths.

1394 is cool because you can reserve bandwidth that will not be interrupted. But it has limited length and limited support from vendors.

BTW, my goal is to develop a wireless link that interferes with my neighbor's power saw.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    You need to wait for UWB (ultra wide band). It should have enough throughput to work. Mostly. As long as your neighbor doesn't run his microwave. And UWB only works in a single room. It doesn't go through walls very well.

Gigabit Ethernet is the most practical solution today. It's fast enough that interrupts don't cause things to fail. And you can run long wire lengths.

1394 is cool because you can reserve bandwidth that will not be interrupted. But it has limited length and limited support from vendors.

Thanks for the information. I guess I will have to set aside my dream of not having to run more wires all around the room... <sigh> ... for now at least. There probably is much to much interference floating around where I live anyhow for it to have worked flawlessly..

Gigabit Ethernet it will be then. If I only have two computers, is it still necessary to get a router, or can I just link them up directly? I have years of experience with computers (including building them), but I have never done networks before.

BTW, my goal is to develop a wireless link that interferes with my neighbor's power saw.

-JF
    A truly noble goal Jon. Live the dream, and exact your terrible vengeance.

If you use what's called a "cross over" cable, you don't need a switch (a router is something else) to connect two systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    If you use what's called a "cross over" cable, you don't need a switch (a router is something else) to connect two systems.
    Aha.. a cross over cable. So it is possible - thanks for that tidbit. And a 'switch' would be necessary though for three or more systems to be linked together?

Yes. A switch (or lowly hub) is required for more than two connections.

BTW, most CAT-5/5e/6 wires are straight across and are made to go to switches. I noticed that Frys sells crossover cables as well. You can also buy the connectors the wire and a crimp tool and make your own cables. That way you won't end up a few feet too short or 23 feet too long. Properly fitted cables are the next best thing to wireless.

-Jon "Terrible Vengeance" Fairhurst

I noticed that Frys sells crossover cables as well.
    Frys?
    Where do you live?
    I thought Frys was only in the Dallas area of Texas.
    I used to live there.
    Is Frys a chain?

Chris

jc5:
    I think this is what you want!
    http://www.prorec.com/prorec/article...256DAA000EC101

Quote Originally Posted by meroveus
    jc5:
    I think this is what you want!
    http://www.prorec.com/prorec/article...256DAA000EC101
    That is a really nifty idea.
    I never would have thought of it, since I was unaware of that feature of XP Pro..

It might just be possible to adapt this idea to my purposes... have all my computers in a different room, just the laptop with me and my keyboard plugged into it to do the work.
    Certainly something to think about.
    And no more running down the hall to stop and start the record button whenever I am recording something live.
    Thanks for posting that link!

Go Back to forum