• Register
  • Help

Topic: Shopping for a PC

Share/Bookmark

Shopping for a PC

Windows95, Pentium II 300 MMX processor (or faster), 128MB RAM, Dual Ultra-Wide SCSI dedicated 6GB Hard Drive (<<8ms access time),
    Some salesmen at a popular computer store told me that you can\'t install a DUW SCSI (<<8ms access time) Hard drive into any of the models that they carry. (They carry just about everything). Some computer techs told me I would have to build from scratch. Another stores salesman said the NEC-VT300 would accept the harddrive. What are some suggestions? I need one drive for the business, and one for the music. I also want to run a sequencer with the GS. Thanks for the forum.

Re: Shopping for a PC

>> Windows95, Pentium II 300 processor (or faster)

I assume you mean Win98. I don’t think you can really buy Win95 anymore. Go for at least a 350 processor. If you go slower, it won’t support the newer 100MHrz front side bus.

>> 128MB RAM

If you can manage it, go with 256MB

>> you can\'t install a DUW SCSI

Yeh, right. What they mean is, THEY WON’T install it. Find a different vendor. By all accounts though, a pair of UDMA drives should serve you.

I agree...go with UDMA drives. SCSI is really a black magic that you don\'t want to play with if you don\'t have do. I run gigasampler off of a Maxtor Diamondmax 17.2 gig drives...works like a dream, just as slick as any of my SCSI drives. Or you could get two maxtors and set up a raid type thing and really have it out!

e4.

Oh...and I\'d recommend staying away from \'drugstore\' computers if at all possible. Get a custom workstation built if you can (or build one yourself if you are so inclined). You\'ll get much more bang for your buck (it\'ll be a slight bit more expensive, but worth it). Remember that a lot of \'drug store\' computers have limited expandability and certain models have conflicts due to built in soundcards (that are actually built IN to the motherboard). Beware

e4.

Go Back to forum