• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga3 Orchestra port confusion

Share/Bookmark

Giga3 Orchestra port confusion

I've had Giga running on a Carillon PC for a while and just upgraded to Giga3. The overall programme is, in my opinion, a giant leap forward in terms of user friendliness and aesthetic.

I have a question that the people at Media Tools don't seem able to answer though. As you know there are 16 midi channels per Port and 8 Ports. Frequently I find myself using the entire 16 midi channels and having to go to Port2. Everything works fine except that any eq, compression or effects I have on (say) midi channel 01 Port 01 appear on midi channel 01 Port 02 as well. Ideally I would like to be able to have total control over each midi channel on each Port seperately from within Giga. I am using a Steinberg/Nuendo 8 I/O unit and an Edirol UM-550 for midi. Am I correct in assuming that if I were to have more than one I/O unit (one for each Port in fact) that this would solve the problem? Anybody here using Giga and solved this problem?

Many thanks!
    Stand by for action - we are about to launch Stingray!

Re: Giga3 Orchestra port confusion

Hi, Commander!
    Welcome to the fourm!
    I'm not a giga user, but I just ordered it yesterday (of course ordering it won't give me any more experience with it than I already have! ).
    Anyway,
    I remember in an older thread, somebody mentioned something about linked ports. This would link all of the channel ones and twos and threes and so on together. I'm not sure exactly what is linked, but maybe you accidentally have the linked ports feature turned on.

Again, I am not a giga user, so don't take my word on any of this! I don't know if it's an on/off switch or an entire menu or what. I just know that there's something about linked ports.

Reguards,
    Chris

Now that I actually HAVE gigastudio, this is what I've come up with:
    The MIDI port status bar at the bottom right of the screen has a keyboard with the numbers 1-8 to the side of it. If any of these numbers are in a dim green box, then that means that those ports are linked.
    You could have accidentally clicked one of these numbers.

Hope this helps,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    You could have accidentally clicked one of these numbers.
    Chris
    Thanks for the idea but that still doesn't do it I'm afraid. Your suggestion allows you to play all the instruments on midi channel 5 (for example) on all ports at the same time - great for stacking.

I'm trying to find a way of not having any effects, compression or eq that are assigned to (say) midi ch 03 port 01 being applied to midi ch 03 port 02 and so on. Can't find a way of doing this so far ...

Your ports wern't linked?
    Hmmmm...........
    I would have to experiment some more, 'cause I really dont' know what you should do.

Chris

Are you saying that you’re using MIDI cc to control the effects parameters?

Otherwise, you’re confusing MIDI with audio. eq, compression and other effects are AUDIO effects, that are matched up with different instrument outputs in the mixer section.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    you’re confusing MIDI with audio.
    Good point - in Logic Audio I associate the track numbers with midi channels but of course that isn't the case!

Okay then, let me re-word my problem correctly:

Is there a way that I can have reverb on channel 01 port 01 but not have reverb on channel 01 port 02? Will I need more than one I/O unit to accomplish this?

Many thanks!

It sounds like you're using the default routing. On all ports the default is for channel 1 to feed DSP Input 1/2, channel 2 to feed DSP Input 3/4, etc.

In the MIDI Mixer view take a look at the rightmost section of your channels. You will find a pulldown that says "Mix 1/2" and so on. You can route each MIDI channel to whatever input you want.

I hope that's it!

Note that you can then route each input to whatever Group that you want, so you can independently set EQ for various instruments at the input level, then run them through the same GigaPulse instance at the group level.

-JF

EUREKA!!
    JonFairhurst's last post made me think so I tinkered around and found what I have been looking for! If you go to FILE>SYSTEM SETTINGS>MIXER/DISC ENGINE you can assign as many mixer inputs as you need! Mine was set to 32 which being stereo really meant 16, the same amount as my channel inputs. I've now bumped it up to 64, giving me two ports worth of individual channel eq, compression and effects if I need them!

Fantastic stuff - thanks for all the suggestions chaps!

Go Back to forum