• Register
  • Help

Topic: Questions about Vocal Planet

Share/Bookmark

Questions about Vocal Planet

I am considering buying Spectrasonic's Vocal Planet but have some questions/concerns. If anyone can answer these it'd help a lot.

Can you adjust the tempo of the vocal phrases easily?

Does it import ok into kontakt and/or EXS, with the advertised features working properly?

Does anyone know of other libraries that have vocal phrases, especially middle eastern?

Thanks!
    Logic 9 | OSX Snow Leopard | 2x3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 4g ram |Dual Cinema Displays | MBox 2 | MOTU 2408, MTP AV | AlphaTrack | BlueSky 2.1 |

Re: Questions about Vocal Planet

The vocal phrases that are rhythmic loops (like the vocal percussion loops) can be adjusted easily because they have groove control. They are also available in SAGE format in the 'Bonus' material on any of the currently available SAGE expander libraries for RMX. This is actually a pretty small proportion of 'Vocal Planet'.

Changing tempo on the sung vocal phrases isn't so straightforward. You would have to use time stretching software to change the tempos on these. This is a much higher proportion of the library than looped material.

As for the translation, I translated from Akai format into Halion a couple of years ago and it was very straightforward. The library is very neatly laid out, and doesn't require any advanced sampler programming to run, so it should translate pretty well into any format you want to use it in. If the Kontakt or EXS translators are competent (which I'm sure they are) you should have no problems.

Can't help you on additional libraries, but I'm sure someone else will give you some suggestions.

Steve

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Vocal Planet is highly useful. I have never particularly had issues with phrase tempo. By far, the best way to deal with phrases is to get them into your audio editor, and deal with them on the timeline actually IN the mix, rather than trying to automate up a way to control them virtually. It's like running around the block to go next door.

It translates to EXS without a hitch.

As for varying tempo, I've had a lot of success throwing the phrase into Melodyne. I simply calculate an approximate tempo of the sung phrase, and then let Melodyne change it. I can alter the timing and the notes sung as well, although that generally changes it's intent, which I usually don't like to do.

I agree with Bruce in that it seems to make more sense to alter it to the project or song at hand, as opposed to trying to make it elastic, like a recycled loop.

But there's some delightfully rich content on those disks. I only use it once in a great while, but when I need it, I'm really glad I own it.

Thanks for the responses, folks!
    Logic 9 | OSX Snow Leopard | 2x3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 4g ram |Dual Cinema Displays | MBox 2 | MOTU 2408, MTP AV | AlphaTrack | BlueSky 2.1 |

Quote Originally Posted by RobbinsEgg
    . . . Does anyone know of other libraries that have vocal phrases, especially middle eastern? . . .
    I wish! Unfortunately, Vocal Planet is about it. Luckily, it's excellent, but I always wish for more!

There is a single Turkish soft male vocal tune on Q-Up Arts "Voices of Istanbul."

Spectrasonics also had a CDRom called "Heart of Asia" which is mostly instrumental, but there are some vocals. Almost all Far East, though. For my particular project (also Middle Eastern,) I didn't use any "Heart of Asia" samples.

Ilio does have a disk that focuses on the Middle East. It's part of this large series called "SoundScan2." Volume 43 is "Arabian Traditions." It's $49, but I haven't bought it yet. I have no idea if it has vocals or not.

- Mike Greene

Go Back to forum